• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug screen rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danisem

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My daughter recently had a baby. While in the hospital, she complained that she had pain urinating due the catheter that was used during labor (which she had requested they not do but they told her they had to). Her doctor was not available so the doctor on call ordered a urine sample to test for infection. Later in the day, the doctor called and told my daughter that a drug screen had been done with the sample and that she tested positive for marijuana. (She had smoked before but had quit before the baby was born.) Then the nurse came in and told her company to leave and proceeded to tell my daughter that she was not to breastfeed anymore. She also told her a social worker would be there to talk to her before she would be discharged. Then the next day they sent a psychiatrist in to see her. It turned what was supposed to be a beautiful time for her into a nightmare. A social worker never came to see her in the hospital, but at discharge they told her that home health nurses would be coming to the house 3 times a week for the next 6 wks to check the baby. She was discharged on Friday, a home health nurse came on Sat and another one came on Monday and then a social worker showed up at the door on Tues. My question is: Did the doctor violate any of my daughter's rights by ordering a drug screen without my daughter's knowledge or consent, using a sample that was given for a different purpose?

BelizeBreeze

Yes, the doctor violate your daughter's right to endanger her newborn's life, to decide whether or not the child died and a whole host of other 'rights' including the right to be plain stupid.

Lady, the doctor acted on a complaint from your daughter. Tested for causes of that complaint and was thorough. There is nothing illegal or unethical about the drug screen.

rmet4nzkx

There is more weight given to the best welfare of the child to be drug free both before and after birth. No, your daughter does not have the right to endanger her child's life using drugs. It should have been a beautiful time for her child as well! Your daughter should have given up drugs before conception, not waiting until the onset of labor. :rolleyes:
Your daughter is very lucky they didn't put her child in foster care. Many mothers in this situation lose custody of their children.

danisem

To BelizeBreeze: I admittedly did not get the answer I would have preferred, but worse than that is the hostility your reply carried. I expected straightforward, fact based answers from this forum. Not soapboxing!

To rmet4nzkx: Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do agree with you and had many conversations with her about it and she did eventually quit. I think the fact that she did quit and that we have a good home is what has helped us avoid the unthinkable, which is losing the baby. Thanks again for your time.

BelizeBreeze

danisem said:
To BelizeBreeze: I admittedly did not get the answer I would have preferred, but worse than that is the hostility your reply carried. I expected straightforward, fact based answers from this forum. Not soapboxing!.
And I expect you to not be so dense....lady, go to any clinic, doctor or medical professional you want and ask them how long MJ stays in your system.

Then YOU tell me your daughter stopped using before the birth....YA RIGHT! a week before. :rolleyes:

rmet4nzkx

danisem said:
To BelizeBreeze: I admittedly did not get the answer I would have preferred, but worse than that is the hostility your reply carried. I expected straightforward, fact based answers from this forum. Not soapboxing!

To rmet4nzkx: Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do agree with you and had many conversations with her about it and she did eventually quit. I think the fact that she did quit and that we have a good home is what has helped us avoid the unthinkable, which is losing the baby. Thanks again for your time.
BB and I said the same thing, don't get upset with him, get upset with your duaghter! Your daughter is playing with fire and you are too trusting. Sure she is your daughter but she has a drug problem. She is very very lucky to still have the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">