• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Room

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctbrowne

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
My daughter required ER service to have her appendix removed, she has insurance with cigna. She was advised to schedule a follow-up with the surgeon and when she called for the appt was advised he did not accept her insurance and to have from $100-500 available at the time of her appt. They would then go over what charges to expect. She gave the hospital the insurance info when admitted, so what are her options. It's not like she requested this doc. but she needs to follow-up on the surgery.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

She does not need to follow up with the SAME surgeon. Ask her PCP for a referral to a participating surgeon who can do the follow up appointment. And arrange to have all her records forwarded to the new doctor's office prior to the appointment. The PCP may even be able to do the follow up, depending on what's needed. He can definitely inspect the incision to make sure it's healing and ask the pertinent questions about how she's feeling and whether there have been any problems.

artiemd

I believe that often, the first routine follow up is included in the global charge for the surgery. You should check with the physician or his/her manager.

ecmst12

Oh yeah, I forgot about that :) OP did you mention that this was a post-surgical follow up when you scheduled the appointment? And did you ask your insurance company how the bill would be handled if you DID go back to the out-of-network surgeon for follow up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">