• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emergency Room Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgorse09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I went to the emergency room several months ago because I had pain in my knees and I did not know what was wrong with them and they were not getting better. A couple weeks before I went to the emergency room, my knees were in such pain to the point I could not walk. I did not have health insurance at the time. I needed to find out what was wrong with my knees so I could get better.

The doctor I ended up seeing examined my knees and said they weren't swollen so he said that I should "take it easy" on them and "get some rest". He gave me a prescription for ibuprofen. The doctor seemed like he didn't even want to see me, I got the feel from him that I was wasting his time. But I've been in pain for a while and I needed an answer.

So for the next couple months I took it easy and rested and took my medicine. I didn't get any better. I finally ended up getting health insurance several months later, and I went to see another doctor. This doctor examined me and diagnosed me with Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS). This injury requires a good 2+ months of physical therapy to get better. The first doctor never mentioned anything about PFPS or PT.

Now I get a bill from the hospital I went to for $750. I feel like I got ripped off, they did absolutely nothing for me and expect me to pay them 750 bucks for a bottle of ibuprofen. If they said I needed PT I would not have wasted months of my life and I could have been better a long time ago. Why did he not tell me I had a condition that needed PT? How is this guy even a doctor if he can't diagnose a patient with a simple condition?

Is there anything I can do to fight this bill based on what I explained? Do I have a case? Or is there such a thing as free care?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What makes you think we believe that you would have sought out PT during the time you didn't have insurance? :rolleyes:

You have no case against the ER folks.

lya

I went to the emergency room several months ago because I had pain in my knees and I did not know what was wrong with them and they were not getting better. A couple weeks before I went to the emergency room, my knees were in such pain to the point I could not walk. I did not have health insurance at the time. I needed to find out what was wrong with my knees so I could get better.

The doctor I ended up seeing examined my knees and said they weren't swollen so he said that I should "take it easy" on them and "get some rest". He gave me a prescription for ibuprofen. The doctor seemed like he didn't even want to see me, I got the feel from him that I was wasting his time. But I've been in pain for a while and I needed an answer.

So for the next couple months I took it easy and rested and took my medicine. I didn't get any better. I finally ended up getting health insurance several months later, and I went to see another doctor. This doctor examined me and diagnosed me with Patella Femoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS). This injury requires a good 2+ months of physical therapy to get better. The first doctor never mentioned anything about PFPS or PT.

Now I get a bill from the hospital I went to for $750. I feel like I got ripped off, they did absolutely nothing for me and expect me to pay them 750 bucks for a bottle of ibuprofen. If they said I needed PT I would not have wasted months of my life and I could have been better a long time ago. Why did he not tell me I had a condition that needed PT? How is this guy even a doctor if he can't diagnose a patient with a simple condition?

Is there anything I can do to fight this bill based on what I explained? Do I have a case? Or is there such a thing as free care?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Emergency departments are not for painful knees. I'm sure the entire ED staff was not pleased that you used their time for non-emergency matters.

Physical therapy is not part of ED scope of treatment. PT is rehabilitative treatment.

Pay the ED bill.

ecmst12

You went to the ER to find out if something was broken or otherwise in need of emergency treatment. You found that nothing was broken and you were not in need of emergency treatment. PFS is not an emergent condition, it's just annoying. It's not even a very specific diagnosis, from what I know, it is primarily diagnosed by pain and a crunchy sound when you bend your knees. PT isn't likely to make it go away completely either, it will improve the symptoms for a while but it will probably come back, and eventually 20 years down the road or so you will find you have degenerative joint disease in your knees. This is a normal part of aging for many people, especially those who were very active. More to the point, PFS is not likely to get better OR worse without treatment if you take it easy like you were doing. So the ER doctor's advice did not hurt you.

so you used an ER, a place which is supposed to be used only for EMERGENCIES of a life threatening nature as a Drs office because you had no insurance or money, which tells me you had NO intention of paying the bill anyway.

You were seen and evaluated for any life threatening medical conditions, which is what the ER does and it was determined that there was nothing for THEM to do. I do not see a problem here.

so you finally went to a follow up several months later, which I am sure the ER told you to do several DAYS later and you were diagnosed with a non-life threatening condition of the knees, ok, no problem there.

Now, you are billed for using an EMERGENCY ROOM for a non emergent problem and because they didnt "fix" you, you feel jipped. You stated yourself that you had no insurance or money so even if the dr had told you that you had PFPS, you would not have sought physical therapy at that time.

Is there anything I can do to fight this bill based on what I explained? Do I have a case? Or is there such a thing as free care?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?[/QUOTE]

You have no case. You used the ER like a drs office, didnt do your follow up, didnt pay the bill and now are complaining because you havent had PT, which you could not afford earlier. You are nothing but a typical low life trying to get out of paying a bill. You could have gone to a regular drs office for 100.00 cash instead of misusing the ER in the fashion that you did. Pay the bill or deal with collections for the next 10 years, a possible legal judgement and let your credit take the hit.

xylene

Much of what has been said is correct.

However - immediate hospital care in emergency setting are not for life threatening emergenices "ONLY" as has been stated.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a misdiagnosis is acceptable, whether life threatening or not.

Your intent to pay, and the other issues raised are tangential. People who should know better are throwing that smoke screen.

Doctors are not allowed to make mistakes or proceed in haste to 'save resources' or because you are poor. If they missed something they should have found, they missed it. That potentially violates the standard of care. I am not a clinician, NOR am I advising you that the standard of care was violated - only that misdiagnosis IS NOT OKAY, irrespective of your intent to pay.

You best first step, before getting a sue-happy, is to politely raise the issue of your physicians diagnosis and the facts of the clinical presentation to the hospital administration.

Be conciliatory. Be nice. You are NOT likely getting a windfall out of this.

Hope for a reduced bill. Be grateful if they cancel your bill and admit no liability.

ok, one more time, the APPROPRIATE use of the EMERGENCY ROOM is for conditions that are life threatening or that will turn into life threatening if they are not attended to within a reasonable amount of time. To come to the ER for knee pain that had been going on for MONTHS, is NOT appropriate for the er.

The dr was told, I am sure, that there was no trauma or injury, just pain for several months. There was no clinical indication to do x-rays, ct scans or anything else for that matter. This gentleman was told to follow up within a few days with ortho and he did not and if he says he was not given a follow up, then he is a liar.

He misused the system for free health care and now wants money for it? Are you kidding me? Another loser in america.

xylene

ok, one more time, the APPROPRIATE use of the EMERGENCY ROOM is for conditions that are life threatening or that will turn into life threatening if they are not attended to within a reasonable amount of time. To come to the ER for knee pain that had been going on for MONTHS, is NOT appropriate for the er.

The dr was told, I am sure, that there was no trauma or injury, just pain for several months. There was no clinical indication to do x-rays, ct scans or anything else for that matter. This gentleman was told to follow up within a few days with ortho and he did not and if he says he was not given a follow up, then he is a liar.

He misused the system for free health care and now wants money for it? Are you kidding me? Another loser in america.
Your conservative republican views are irrelevant to the legal reality.

The patients who use emergencies rooms, for whatever reason, including those using them as a safety net have the right to expect the proper standard of care.

If he did not receive it, then he should seek redress.

Clearly a significant diagnosis was missed, one that should / could have been made by simple manipulation and patient history. That isn't peanuts. That 750 buck bill is NOT a punishment for 'wasting resources'.

ecmst12

You are wrong. There is BARELY any difference between a knee strain and PFS. When he went to the ER, he might not have developed the PFS yet. Or maybe the doctor missed it. But either way the treatment is the same - anti-inflamatory meds and rest at first, PT if no improvement. So no harm was done to the patient and there is no case to either get out of the bill, or claim any type of malpractice.

wyett717

That 750 buck bill is NOT a punishment for 'wasting resources'.
No, but OP did use the resources of the ER physician and the facility's equipment, and so the money is owed regardless of his/her satisfaction with the diagnosis. A condition that has been progressing for months might take more examination and testing than an emergency facility is willing or required to get involved in. Plus, the fact that OP waited yet another several months to seek further medical attention is extremely irresponsible on their part, and not at all the ER doctor's fault.

xylene

WOW!

Finally some accurate reasons why the OP has scant options for recourse.

My point is made: red herrings aside, it doesn't matter is the ER staff was indignant or the poster was a presumable dead beat.

I win - again!

lya

Your conservative republican views are irrelevant to the legal reality.

The patients who use emergencies rooms, for whatever reason, including those using them as a safety net have the right to expect the proper standard of care.

If he did not receive it, then he should seek redress.

Clearly a significant diagnosis was missed, one that should / could have been made by simple manipulation and patient history. That isn't peanuts. That 750 buck bill is NOT a punishment for 'wasting resources'.
Your political opinions are irrelevant.
Your words of wisdom are erroneous.

Emergency Departments do not have to see patients who are not in need of emergency care. In today's EDs, there are physicians and physician assistants whose only job is to quickly screen those in the waiting room and to 'weed out' those who do not meet emergency care criteria. Those who are weeded out are sent from the ED with no further evaluation; they may or may not have a written recommendation as to when and with whom to seek treatment.

This patient could have been sent home from the ED without any treatment and not a thing would have been wrong with doing it.

xylene

This patient could have been sent home from the ED without any treatment and not a thing would have been wrong with doing it.
yep, but that is not what happened.

And thank you for the unspoken concession that the posters intent to pay would be irrelevant to any claim he might have, if a standard of care was violated.

Warm weekend regards!

lya

yep, but that is not what happened.

And thank you for the unspoken concession that the posters intent to pay would be irrelevant to any claim he might have, if a standard of care was violated.

Warm weekend regards!
Yeah, OK. What am I thinking now?
Right, again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">