• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ER doctor makes a mistake

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC7502

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

We recently took our toddler to the ER because he fell and cut his forehead open. The doctor did not clean the wound before using glue to seal it. A couple days later it got infected it grew into big pus ball. We took him to his pediatrician who drained it and put him on antibiotics. I think he'll be fine but I'm not sure if there's going to be a scar from this. I don't think I should have to pay an $1100 hospital bill when they made the situation worse. Is there anything I can do to not have to pay this bill?
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

We recently took our toddler to the ER because he fell and cut his forehead open. The doctor did not clean the wound before using glue to seal it. A couple days later it got infected it grew into big pus ball. We took him to his pediatrician who drained it and put him on antibiotics. I think he'll be fine but I'm not sure if there's going to be a scar from this. I don't think I should have to pay an $1100 hospital bill when they made the situation worse. Is there anything I can do to not have to pay this bill?
Thanks
You say the wound wasn't cleaned, but I doubt that. When there is an open wound, infections can happen, even when the best of cleaning is done. Pay what you owe.

Ladyback1

Thanks
ya know...sometimes cuts get infected regardless of how well they are cleaned.

And as an aside: I'm not a big fan of "gluing" wounds/cuts. The glue actually seems to seep down into the wound, and while it does seal the cut, it also seals in any bacteria. But, that is just an opinion.

FlyingRon

ya know...sometimes cuts get infected regardless of how well they are cleaned.

And as an aside: I'm not a big fan of "gluing" wounds/cuts. The glue actually seems to seep down into the wound, and while it does seal the cut, it also seals in any bacteria. But, that is just an opinion.
Stitches don't often fair much better. This is why frequently you don't stitch wounds closed if they've been open for a while.

However, nothing indicates that the would wasn't "cleaned" nor even if it was shown to be negligently not cleaned, that the patient suffered any damages that would be recoverable. The infection most likely didn't alter the scarring over what would have happened anyway.

RC7502

I was standing there the entire time watching. I didn't see the doctor put anything on the wound prior to applying the glue. All she did was push the skin together with her fingers, then put the glue on. Maybe I should have said something then but I didn't want to question the doctor, they're supposed to be the professional.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was standing there the entire time watching. I didn't see the doctor put anything on the wound prior to applying the glue. All she did was push the skin together with her fingers, then put the glue on. Maybe I should have said something then but I didn't want to question the doctor, they're supposed to be the professional.
When your credit is trashed and you are sued, what expert testimony do you have that says that the standard of care was not met in this case? What expert testimony do you have that says that the reason an infection occurred was due to negligence on the doctor's part?

RC7502

Why would my credit be trashed? I never said I wasn't going to pay the bill. I was just looking for advice to see if I had any options. But no, it was more fun for Zigner to be a jerk to parent with an injured child. Way to kick me when I'm down. You win, I'll go away now. I thought an advice site would be friendly but apparently not. I'll look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">