• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ER responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LegalShieldRep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida/New York

I have a intense pressure/pain in my chest that has caused me to go to the ER 4 times over the last 2 years (thinking I was having a stroke/heart attack) and I've been told each time that I'm fine. My question is I've obviously suffered a lot and my quality of life has been significantly affected because of this.

When I do find out what is wrong(I've been without insurance all this time) is it possible to hold these ER's accountable for not properly diagnosing me? I know it's dependant on what the actual problem is, but only one admitted me for tests. The rest of the visits I was told that it was "in my head" or that there was nothing wrong with me. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:

LegalShieldRep

I don't have one, again I don't have insurance for another few months. It's pretty obvious to me now that I have a GI problem that causes the problem. My question is more geared towards whether or not an ER has the responsibility to admit and/or figure out what is causing the problem.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your GP would be the one to diagnose you. The ER is not responsible for your long-term care. They are there to treat you in (get this) emergency situations.

Isis1

I don't have one, again I don't have insurance for another few months. It's pretty obvious to me now that I have a GI problem that causes the problem. My question is more geared towards whether or not an ER has the responsibility to admit and/or figure out what is causing the problem.
actually, you are wrong. at this point, there is nothing wrong. and since you choose not to schedule a doctor appointment to further delve into the matter, the responsibility lies upon you.

i see what you are doing. looking for a cash cow to cover the medical costs. it's not going to work. you do have some responsibility in your own health.

Just Blue

Anxiety can cause HA symptoms. What was the EXACT wording of the Dr's that you saw in the ER?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida/New York

I have a intense pressure/pain in my chest that has caused me to go to the ER 4 times over the last 2 years (thinking I was having a stroke/heart attack) and I've been told each time that I'm fine. My question is I've obviously suffered a lot and my quality of life has been significantly affected because of this.

When I do find out what is wrong(I've been without insurance all this time) is it possible to hold these ER's accountable for not properly diagnosing me? I know it's dependant on what the actual problem is, but only one admitted me for tests. The rest of the visits I was told that it was "in my head" or that there was nothing wrong with me. What do you guys think?
As long as you weren't dieing (per the EKG) they are not obligated to investigate further.

"it wasn't a stroke or heart attack sir, we are releasing you to seek attention from a primary care doctor" the ER is for emergencies, not for diognostic treatment beyond your not going to die right now.

ecmst12

I'm sure you don't want to know what it would cost you to get all those tests done through the ER. If you were truly concerned with finding out what's wrong, you would go to a PCP's office for diagnosis and treatment. It would cost a heck of a lot less than going to the ER, though of course not free. The ER is required to make sure you are stable, nothing more. You did not need to be admitted and you were not experiencing a medical emergency or in need of urgent care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">