• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fell while stepping off exam table

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

upsettoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Elderly woman fell while getting off exam table, slipping on small step. MD was next to her, did not put out hand to help her down, she struck head & fractured wrist, any liability for MD?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Elderly woman fell while getting off exam table, slipping on small step. MD was next to her, did not put out hand to help her down, she struck head & fractured wrist, any liability for MD?
Maybe.

Did the elderly woman happen to mention to the doctor that she needed help to get down from the table? Or was she fragile or obviously unstable enough that the doctor should have reasonably known she might fall without assistance?

If not, then the doctor cannot be expected to read the woman's mind. If she had asked for assistance in getting down, and he refused, that would be one thing. But if he had no idea she needed help, how can he be held liable for not providing it?

tranquility

I agree, maybe. The problem is not that the woman was not caught, but that the situation that may have led to the fall could have been prevented.

Protip: You can't catch a falling person. Most times you will hurt yourself or hurt the person more than the fall itself.

upsettoo

thanks

thanks, he did say after the fact, "guess I should have taken your hand & helped you down." I agree she should have asked for help also.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">