• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food and Drug Act

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeHaan Formula

Hello,

My wife wants to come out with her own personal like of shampoos and hair-conditioners for a chain of hair salons she owns.
The conditioner she wants has to have hydrolyzed keratin in it. Hydrolyzed keratin can be derived form either wool or human hair.
She wants it made from actual human hair because it works better than wool in her opinion.

My question is it legal to incorporate human hair into a consumer product??
I remember reading 10 years ago that in some countries this is not allowed because of Mad Cow disease fears

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello,

My wife wants to come out with her own personal like of shampoos and hair-conditioners for a chain of hair salons she owns.
The conditioner she wants has to have hydrolyzed keratin in it. Hydrolyzed keratin can be derived form either wool or human hair.
She wants it made from actual human hair because it works better than wool in her opinion.

My question is it legal to incorporate human hair into a consumer product??
I remember reading 10 years ago that in some countries this is not allowed because of Mad Cow disease fears
What US state? (This forum is for US law only)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
OP could start here: http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Legislation/FederalFoodDrugandCosmeticActFDCAct/default.htm

quincy

Here is an additional link to go along with the one provided you earlier by Zigner.

This one speaks to your question about cattle materials that are prohibited from use, to protect against BSE, as well as listing other prohibited and restricted ingredients for cosmetic products:

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/GuidanceRegulation/LawsRegulations/ucm127406.htm

There is a lot involved in getting a product from conception to consumer market, and a lot of laws that must be considered along the way. Your wife would be smart to seek help from a professional in her area. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">