• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my sister out of a bad mental health facility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

janm11

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My sister recently tried to comit suicide and was sent to a mental health facility. After reading about the place online and hearing her speak I fear for her safety. How do I get her out? this is in the state of Georgia

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
My sister recently tried to comit suicide and was sent to a mental health facility. After reading about the place online and hearing her speak I fear for her safety. How do I get her out? this is in the state of Georgia
She may not have a choice at this point in time. Does your sister have insurance?

janm11

Yes she doeshave insurance. My concern is that they are forced to watch television for several hours a day and none of the meetings with the psychiatrist have lasted more then 5 mins or so. Looking online this seems to be a prevalent issue at this facility

Proserpina

Yes she doeshave insurance. My concern is that they are forced to watch television for several hours a day and none of the meetings with the psychiatrist have lasted more then 5 mins or so. Looking online this seems to be a prevalent issue at this facility

"Forced" to watch?

Could this be a group setting where the residents are all sitting in the same room while there's a TV on?

janm11

I believe that would be correct...

My point however is that she is there to get help...not watch TV not go to AA meetings and other bs lihe that. So far the psychiatrist has told her "she looks very depressed..."
not exactualy what were hoping for here. I would like to get her out and or transfered to a place with competent medical professionals.

Proserpina

My point however is that she is there to get help...not watch TV not go to AA meetings and other bs lihe that. So far the psychiatrist has told her "she looks very depressed..."
not exactualy what were hoping for here. I would like to get her out and or transfered to a place with competent medical professionals.

Do you understand how these facilities work? :confused: You're not a medical professional, are you?

By all means, file in court to have her declared incompetent, so you can then apply to become her guardian and make medical decisions on her behalf.

Antigone*

Wow... you really have no clue.

janm11

so are you telling me being forced to watch random tv shows 5-10 hours a day is ok?
sending somone to group therapy sessions like AA when she has never drank, anger managment when she is there for the opposate reason? Not allowing them to enter their rooms from early morning to late night? Seeing a psychaitrist once for less then 5 mins? sorry i call bs, i know this place is not meant to be a vacation but i expect her to be helped. if all help is watching tv all day im confident she can handle it quite well from home

also...she is there not on a court order or anything like that.

And please explain to me why i have no clue...I would love to know what I am missing here

Proserpina

so are you telling me being forced to watch random tv shows 5-10 hours a day is ok?
sending somone to group therapy sessions like AA when she has never drank, anger managment when she is there for the opposate reason? Not allowing them to enter their rooms from early morning to late night? Seeing a psychaitrist once for less then 5 mins? sorry i call bs, i know this place is not meant to be a vacation but i expect her to be helped. if all help is watching tv all day im confident she can handle it quite well from home

also...she is there not on a court order or anything like that.

Then she's perfectly free to leave of her own accord.

And please don't take this the wrong way - but you're not familiar with these settings, that much is obvious. What you're describing is NOT unusual.

Again though, she's free to leave of her own volition.

If she's not incompetent, her medical care is just that - hers.

Antigone*

Then she's perfectly free to leave of her own accord.

And please don't take this the wrong way - but you're not familiar with these settings, that much is obvious. What you're describing is NOT unusual.

Again though, she's free to leave of her own volition.

If she's not incompetent, her medical care is just that - hers.
Pro, the sister may not be free to leave if she tried to kill herself.

janm11

Thanks for that...my parents and I were placed under the impresion that she would not be allowed to leave for atleast a week
and I am sorry but if conditions like that are acceptable...thats messed up. All that aside from what I have found the max they can keep somone agianst their will is 72 hours. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Proserpina

Pro, the sister may not be free to leave if she tried to kill herself.

After the emergency 72 hour hold (which let's face it is the equivalent of a court order), she's free to go unless there's actually a further court proceeding.

I'm taking OP's posts at face value. :eek:

Last edited:

Proserpina

Thanks for that...my parents and I were placed under the impresion that she would not be allowed to leave for several weeks.

And I am sorry but if conditions like that are acceptable...thats messed up.

Conditions like what?

Hon, I'm honestly not trying to be mean here - but have you even been to such a facility?

Do you have any clue how they work and what their goals are? :confused:

How do you actually know what's going on?

janm11

1) I have been there
2) it's not just me on this...ive found many who have simular gripes regarding this place granted many are online...but there is usualy some truth to these
3) The goals of this place...according to them....is to first stabilize the individual, i assume through medication, and then therapy to help. I fail to see how a short session with a psychaitrist will be productive in any sort evaluation or treatment

Antigone*

1) I have been there
2) it's not just me on this...ive found many who have simular gripes regarding this place granted many are online...but there is usualy some truth to these
3) The goals of this place...according to them....is to first stabilize the individual, i assume through medication, and then therapy to help. I fail to see how a short session with a psychaitrist will be productive in any sort evaluation or treatment
A short session is all that a person who recently tried to commit suicide may be able to take.

Really Jan, unless you have a degree in psychiatry, you just don't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">