• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Go to MD to get Suboxone, leave with PERCOCET.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

barlowe45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Long story short. Went to Suboxone physician (Suboxone is a medication to help one get off of narcotics) to get help with addiction to Vicoden. After two visits I leave office with a prescription for PERCOCET, a MUCH STRONGER narcotic than the Vicoden. Having an addictive personality and a current addiction problem I filled the RX. I now am addicted to Percocet which will be MUCH HARDER to get off of. I have looked into it and I will probably have to fly to an inpatient center for proper care and detoxification. I don't feel my insurance company should have to foot the bill for this. Do I have any recourse in this matter? I realize that my addiction in mostly my fault but because of her negligence I now have a MUCH bigger and more costly problem.
Thanks to you in advance for any assistance you can offer. Agape!

Proserpina

Long story short. Went to Suboxone physician (Suboxone is a medication to help one get off of narcotics) to get help with addiction to Vicoden. After two visits I leave office with a prescription for PERCOCET, a MUCH STRONGER narcotic than the Vicoden. Having an addictive personality and a current addiction problem I filled the RX. I now am addicted to Percocet which will be MUCH HARDER to get off of. I have looked into it and I will probably have to fly to an inpatient center for proper care and detoxification. I don't feel my insurance company should have to foot the bill for this. Do I have any recourse in this matter? I realize that my addiction in mostly my fault but because of her negligence I now have a MUCH bigger and more costly problem.

Who forced you to fill the rx?

sandyclaus

You needed willpower, not Percocet.

I honestly think that you weren't quite clear enough with the doctor as to the purpose of your visit, or you would like us to somehow believe that the doctor misunderstood you and gave you stronger narcotic pain medicine when the point was to get away from the pain meds altogether. A doctor who specializes in suboxone isn't just going to decide you should have stronger pain meds without some good reason.

You chose to take the prescription the doctor gave you. No one forced you to fill it and take the pain meds. The consequences of your choices are that you now have a bigger and more costly road to recovery. What did you think was going to happen when you took the drugs?

This is not your doctor's fault. This is the result of your choices controlled by your addiction. Part of your recovery is to learn that you are accountable for your actions. Now is the time to accept responsibility for your poor choices.

ecmst12

If you had been truly committed to recovery, you would have refused the script for percocet and asked for the correct medication. It's unfortunate that this was such a big setback for you, but you need to place the responsibility for your addiction where it belongs - on you. And it's your responsibility to beat the addiction now, too. Good luck.

Your story is puzzling.

There are no strictly Suboxone docs. You prob. went to a pain doc/addiction doc/psychiatrist who prescribes Suboxone. It doesn't mean that's all she does. Why were you on Vicodin? If you were on it for genuine chronic pain, it may be appropriate to titrate narcs. Percocet is just another moderate-strength narc, like Vicodin. The limiting factor for intake is the Tylenol mixed in with both, which is a liver toxin.

If you have a narcotic addiction problem, it doesn't matter whether you are on Vicodin or Percocet. The treatments (variable success) are the same.

You have no financial or legal recourse. You can file a complaint about the doc with your state medical board. If she is truly incompetent, then she will be disciplined.

Last edited:

swalsh411

Blaming one's addiction on anybody but themselves is classic addict behavior. Maybe somebody who happens upon this thread can learn something about what to recognize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">