• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heart surgery may not have been needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jalynne

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin- previously lived in Illinois where most of this took place.

Due to a doctor/practitioner not forwarding/faxing records to my Cardiologist that would have shown I had previously had many kidney problems- gallstones etc, I ended up having quadruple bypass surgery. I was just recently told that I might not of had to had this surgery had the kidney problem been delt with. I was never told why I was having the problems or that the kidney stones should be taken care of, etc.

Prior to all this I had breast cancer and surgery. An experimental surgery that went 17 lymph nodes down. I was told the numbness/tingling would lessen to the point where it wouldn't bother me, w/in a year. It's been 5 years, and I'll even drop things out of that hand all of a sudden.

Any advice?

Thanks

panzertanker

Jalynne said:
Due to a doctor/practitioner not forwarding/faxing records to my Cardiologist that would have shown I had previously had many kidney problems- gallstones etc, I ended up having quadruple bypass surgery.
WHAT???
Explain this a little further please...
Jalynne said:
I was just recently told that I might not of had to had this surgery had the kidney problem been delt with. I was never told why I was having the problems or that the kidney stones should be taken care of, etc.
You need to be a little more involved in your care, and explain this further as well...

Jalynne said:
Prior to all this I had breast cancer and surgery. An experimental surgery that went 17 lymph nodes down. I was told the numbness/tingling would lessen to the point where it wouldn't bother me, w/in a year. It's been 5 years, and I'll even drop things out of that hand all of a sudden.

Any advice?

Thanks
Time to go see your regular MD and have that evaluated.

ellencee

Jalynne said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin- previously lived in Illinois where most of this took place.

Due to a doctor/practitioner not forwarding/faxing records to my Cardiologist that would have shown I had previously had many kidney problems- gallstones etc, I ended up having quadruple bypass surgery. I was just recently told that I might not of had to had this surgery had the kidney problem been delt with. I was never told why I was having the problems or that the kidney stones should be taken care of, etc.

Any advice?

Thanks
I'm stumped. Cardiac bypass surgery has nothing to do with kidney function; bypass surgery is directly related to coronary artery disease, which is totally related to "fat" clogging the arteries. I could understand an untreated kidney disease leading to left ventricular hypertrophy and reduced ejection fraction and heart failure.

Experimental surgery yeilds unexpected outcomes. Removing one lymph node (breast cancer) can result in virtually total loss of use of the arm from which the node was taken. I can only imagine what ill affects could result from the removal fo 17 lymph nodes.

Chemotherapy can lead to heart failure. Chemotherapy and/or corticosteriods can lead to increased "fat" adherence to vessel walls.

You really need for one well-versed physician to sit down with you and explain the various aspects of your health and your previous treatments.

I see no indication of medical malpractice or negligence of any kind.

EC

Jalynne

Actually it's that the kidney problems had a lot to do with my needing the heart surgery. My cardiologist would be happy to explain it to you :) Since both he and my family doctor suggested I look into a lawsuit..I think it's obvious it's not just my needing to look after my own health.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there was medical malpractice etc...it's just that time has run out to really do anything about it. I talked to two lawyers about it.

rmet4nzkx

Actually it doesn't sound as if there was malpractice, that is what Panzertanker and Ellen said and I concur. Now you inform us that the SOL has run out and you have already consulted attorneys, so what was the point of your question and why didn't you provide the facts so we could give you an appropriate response?

ellencee

Jalynne said:
Actually it's that the kidney problems had a lot to do with my needing the heart surgery. My cardiologist would be happy to explain it to you :) Since both he and my family doctor suggested I look into a lawsuit..I think it's obvious it's not just my needing to look after my own health.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there was medical malpractice etc...it's just that time has run out to really do anything about it. I talked to two lawyers about it.
Who took the middle out of the oreo cookie?
EC

panzertanker

Jalynne said:
Actually it's that the kidney problems had a lot to do with my needing the heart surgery. My cardiologist would be happy to explain it to you
As I asked before, please explain....gallstones do not have any bearing on cardiac bypass surgery.

Not forwarding those records (that you have a history of gallstones, etc.) would have no mitigation in your needing to have cardiac bypass surgery.

So, since you know the answers to the puzzle, please expand your original statement.

rmet4nzkx

panzertanker said:
As I asked before, please explain....gallstones do not have any bearing on cardiac bypass surgery.

Not forwarding those records (that you have a history of gallstones, etc.) would have no mitigation in your needing to have cardiac bypass surgery.

So, since you know the answers to the puzzle, please expand your original statement.
Perhaps OP is infering that her doctor should have determined the type of stones and if caused by cholesterol, somehow forced her to change her diet and exercise more so she wouldn't eventually fall prey to genetics and their own lack of comliance with common sense lifestyle changes needed to promote good health and thus avoided cardiac bypas suegery. It is also possible that OP suffers some cognitive impairment as a result of hyoxia and is unable to express their thoughts in a manner which we can understand, but again, not the fanlt of the doctor.

Jalynne

I consulted atty's just after posting this in various forums. It's called gathering as much info as possible. Obviously this place wasn't very helpful for advice(except for one of you)...as even the atty's I talked to were aware of such cases(along with consulting doctors) and could easily understand what it was all about. Wisconsin is different and we're still looking into going ahead with a lawsuit.

BTW..everybody was shocked at my needing this surgery. It had nothing to do with my lifestyle.

Let me guess..you all are still trying to pass your bar exams :D

Have a good life :cool:

ellencee

Jalynne said:
I consulted atty's just after posting this in various forums. It's called gathering as much info as possible. Obviously this place wasn't very helpful for advice(except for one of you)...as even the atty's I talked to were aware of such cases(along with consulting doctors) and could easily understand what it was all about. Wisconsin is different and we're still looking into going ahead with a lawsuit.

BTW..everybody was shocked at my needing this surgery. It had nothing to do with my lifestyle.

Honey, if you'd just PASS a bar, maybe you could write coherent paragraphs and communicate effectively. You have no case and you know it and we know you know it.
EC

panzertanker

Jalynne said:

If you are so sure of the facts that you have a case, why post here?
If you are so sure of your information, why will you not answer my questions?
I am not a lawyer, I am a Nurse Practitioner, and WAS trying to help you.

Apparently you not only do not want help, but don't know what help is.

I have a nice life, thank you!

rmet4nzkx

Jalynne said:

YOU failed to provide any facts by which to give advice let alone reach either a medical or legal conclusion. We are not mind readers here although, posters like you seem to think we are. Are you implying that your cardiologist operated without evidence of a medical need? If so, why are you blaming it on your doctor for not faxing medical history of "stones"?

There is some reason you cannot construct a cohernt thought of communicate effectively, that is possibly a consequence of your cardiac disease and hypoxia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">