• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help fight afdent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ring

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana,
Here my story,
My wife went to afdent to get only upper dentures.That required pulling her upper teeth.She told afdent from the start that she only wanted uppers.It was agreed.
The cost we was told was $3,800.We agreed and paid upfront total cost.We was told paid in full.My wife had a appointment the next following week to get her teeth pulled and impreshions.I went with her and I waited in the lobby while they was working on her.About a hour went bye a nurce came back to me in the lobby telling me come see your wifes new teeth.So,I did.Lord behold,my wife was so drugged up she was darn near out of her mind.Talking crazy like if stoned or high on drugs.She was so drugged up that I was shocked how drugged she was.
But,not as shocked from what I learned & found.My wife has top & bottom dentures.I looked at the nurce & doctor saying what's this?She only wanted uppers not lowers.The doctor told me that some how up front in the office they made a mistack and charged my wife for uppers & lowers they learned.Since your wifes bottom teeth was so bad we decided to pull them and give her lowers to since she already paid for them.I told them my wife didn't agree to this and that wasn't the agreement!They told me they talked to my wife while they was pulling her uppers.Humm,I said.My wife is all drugged up as not in her right mind and you people made a agreement like this?The reason at the start why my wife didn't want her lower teeth pulled is because,My wife was affraid to have her lowers pulled as all of her teeth pulled all at once to painful.But,they did it anyway.I was shocked.My wife went to the car crying afterwords in so much pain and shock.
After that we didn't attempt to take any further action.We thought what's done is done and move on.Weeks went by my wife had to go back to get her dentures adjusted.She did that a few times.Then,they told her to come back in 6 months for your perament dentures.6 months went bye she went back to afdent to get her permament dentures so she thought.They told her she has to pay another $1,200 in order to recieve her permament dentures.We was told we was paid up in full until this.We don't have another $1,200!My wife went storming out of afdent crying.
Hear we are 3-4 yrs later .My wife still doesn't have her permament dentures that she originally paid for at the start as so they say.They told her she must pay for impresions again for her permament dentures.Very unfair I feel.Is there any thing we can do legally to afdent for all of this pain & suffering?
It's been 3- 4 yrs now since.Is it too late to do anything about this?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana,
Here my story,
My wife went to afdent to get only upper dentures.That required pulling her upper teeth.She told afdent from the start that she only wanted uppers.It was agreed.
The cost we was told was $3,800.We agreed and paid upfront total cost.We was told paid in full.My wife had a appointment the next following week to get her teeth pulled and impreshions.I went with her and I waited in the lobby while they was working on her.About a hour went bye a nurce came back to me in the lobby telling me come see your wifes new teeth.So,I did.Lord behold,my wife was so drugged up she was darn near out of her mind.Talking crazy like if stoned or high on drugs.She was so drugged up that I was shocked how drugged she was.
But,not as shocked from what I learned & found.My wife has top & bottom dentures.I looked at the nurce & doctor saying what's this?She only wanted uppers not lowers.The doctor told me that some how up front in the office they made a mistack and charged my wife for uppers & lowers they learned.Since your wifes bottom teeth was so bad we decided to pull them and give her lowers to since she already paid for them.I told them my wife didn't agree to this and that wasn't the agreement!They told me they talked to my wife while they was pulling her uppers.Humm,I said.My wife is all drugged up as not in her right mind and you people made a agreement like this?The reason at the start why my wife didn't want her lower teeth pulled is because,My wife was affraid to have her lowers pulled as all of her teeth pulled all at once to painful.But,they did it anyway.I was shocked.My wife went to the car crying afterwords in so much pain and shock.
After that we didn't attempt to take any further action.We thought what's done is done and move on.Weeks went by my wife had to go back to get her dentures adjusted.She did that a few times.Then,they told her to come back in 6 months for your perament dentures.6 months went bye she went back to afdent to get her permament dentures so she thought.They told her she has to pay another $1,200 in order to recieve her permament dentures.We was told we was paid up in full until this.We don't have another $1,200!My wife went storming out of afdent crying.
Hear we are 3-4 yrs later .My wife still doesn't have her permament dentures that she originally paid for at the start as so they say.They told her she must pay for impresions again for her permament dentures.Very unfair I feel.Is there any thing we can do legally to afdent for all of this pain & suffering?
It's been 3- 4 yrs now since.Is it too late to do anything about this?
The statute of limitations for dental malpractice claims in Indiana is 2 years. Your wife's 3 to 4 year wait has hurt her chances of remedying the harm that might have been caused (both physically and financially) by the dental treatment received, at least through a malpractice lawsuit. Other remedies may be possible.

And, because other possibilities exist, I think it would still be smart for your wife to have the facts of your wife's treatment reviewed by an attorney.

There are some dental "groups" that have been investigated over the years for unethical and illegal business practices. The complaints your wife has, of unnecessary and unwanted treatment followed by (possibly) excessive charges, match those cited in a 2012 class action suit.

In addition, your wife may want to write to Indiana's Attorney General detailing her experiences. Depending on facts, this could result in an investigation.

If there is a dental school connected to a university in your area, you might want to see if they take new patients. Often dental schools will work on a mouth for free as a way to train the dental students. The students are closely supervised by licensed dentists. This could be a way for your wife to get new dentures, or other work, to help relieve the pain she suffers.

Good luck.

Last edited:

ring

The statute of limitations for dental malpractice claims in Indiana is 2 years. Your wife's 3 to 4 year wait has hurt her chances of remedying the harm that might have been caused (both physically and financially) by the dental treatment received, at least through a malpractice lawsuit. Other remedies may be possible.

And, because other possibilities exist, I think it would still be smart for your wife to have the facts of your wife's treatment reviewed by an attorney.

There are some dental "groups" that have been investigated over the years for unethical and illegal business practices. The complaints your wife has, of unnecessary and unwanted treatment followed by (possibly) excessive charges, match those cited in a 2012 class action suit.

In addition, your wife may want to write to Indiana's Attorney General detailing her experiences. Depending on facts, this could result in an investigation.

If there is a dental school connected to a university in your area, you might want to see if they take new patients. Often dental schools will work on a mouth for free as a way to train the dental students. The students are closely supervised by licensed dentists. This could be a way for your wife to get new dentures, or other work, to help relieve the pain she suffers.

Good luck.
My memory isn't the best at times with all that's going on.I talked to my wife today about this and she told me she thinks it's been 1 1/2 yrs or about 2 yrs since this happened.My number amout was wrong too.My wife said we paid upfront over $4,000 to Aspen Dental.It's Aspen Dental not Afdent.I apologize for the error.This happened at Aspen Dental in Michagan City,Indiana off of Franklin or some call it Hwy 421.We lost the paper work thru time to know the exact date and total amount.I don't know what we can do about that?
Truth be told Aspen Dental people scammed my wife really bad.At the start my wife only wanted upper dentures not lower dentures.We talked to many people that told us if you ever need dentures to only get uppers not lowers because,lowers never fit right and isn't worth the pain.I'm not really after to obtain money from a law suit.I have two things I would like to see done tho?One,I like to get Aspen to give my wife her permament dentures that she paid $4,000 for and never recieved.And two,to let others know that Aspen did this to her.People need to know so they can avoid the hurt and suffering.At the time Aspen pulled my wifes upper teeth.She was so drugged up I feel she wasn't in her right mind to make the agreement for lowers as they had her sign while she was drugged up.Isn't that temparaly incompatent if you are drugged.If so,then my wife was incompatent at that time to make a agreement for lower teeth pulled.Like I said,they told us They "ASPEN" in the office made the mistake of charging my wife for upper & lower dentures.Instead of Aspen refunding my wife for lower dentures that she didn't want in the first place.They took matters in their own hand.I'm her husband,Aspen never had me sign a thing knowing my wife was incompatent at that time from Aspen drugging her up while pulling her upper teeth.You would think at that time that Aspen would have had me sign for my wife to cover their butt.But,they didn't.
If you can't help us?We ask for you to please,tell others of our story so others don't go to Aspen to get scammed like my wife did?Thank you!..Pay it forward please.
Best,Dan from Indiana.

Proserpina

My memory isn't the best at times with all that's going on.I talked to my wife today about this and she told me she thinks it's been 1 1/2 yrs or about 2 yrs since this happened.My number amout was wrong too.My wife said we paid upfront over $4,000 to Aspen Dental.It's Aspen Dental not Afdent.I apologize for the error.This happened at Aspen Dental in Michagan City,Indiana off of Franklin or some call it Hwy 421.We lost the paper work thru time to know the exact date and total amount.I don't know what we can do about that?
Truth be told Aspen Dental people scammed my wife really bad.At the start my wife only wanted upper dentures not lower dentures.We talked to many people that told us if you ever need dentures to only get uppers not lowers because,lowers never fit right and isn't worth the pain.I'm not really after to obtain money from a law suit.I have two things I would like to see done tho?One,I like to get Aspen to give my wife her permament dentures that she paid $4,000 for and never recieved.And two,to let others know that Aspen did this to her.People need to know so they can avoid the hurt and suffering.At the time Aspen pulled my wifes upper teeth.She was so drugged up I feel she wasn't in her right mind to make the agreement for lowers as they had her sign while she was drugged up.Isn't that temparaly incompatent if you are drugged.If so,then my wife was incompatent at that time to make a agreement for lower teeth pulled.Like I said,they told us They "ASPEN" in the office made the mistake of charging my wife for upper & lower dentures.Instead of Aspen refunding my wife for lower dentures that she didn't want in the first place.They took matters in their own hand.I'm her husband,Aspen never had me sign a thing knowing my wife was incompatent at that time from Aspen drugging her up while pulling her upper teeth.You would think at that time that Aspen would have had me sign for my wife to cover their butt.But,they didn't.
If you can't help us?We ask for you to please,tell others of our story so others don't go to Aspen to get scammed like my wife did?Thank you!..Pay it forward please.
Best,Dan from Indiana.

I do have one very, very important question.

Do you have a copy of the "informed consent" form that she signed, and if you do, did it include the possibility of changing the surgery mid-stream?

justalayman

Just some FYI:

Unless things have changed, IUSB (Indiana University South Bend) in South Bend has a dental program. That's about 30-40 minute drive from the Michigan City area OP spoke of.

Also, rather than this being a malprctice issue, it could be simple contract law. Op needs to dig out their contract or try to get a copy from Aspen if op no longer has it to see what it did include.

The applicable statute of limitations appears to be 2 years so op needs to get moving now if it has been less than 2 years. If it's been more, well, not much you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">