• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hemorrhaging for 12 hrs after cesarean due to mistake in surgery, almost died

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmppulliam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington state
My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Washington State
My question involves medical malpractice in the state of: Washington State
My water broke and the baby had a bowel movement in the womb and i was 3 centimeters dilated so I had to have an unexpected cesarean. 30 minutes after arriving at the hospital they took me to surgery. Right off the bat it seemed like they weren't taking it seriously. Making jokes, saying how fresh my meat is, no ones been in there before cause I've never had surgery and what not. During the surgery they made a mistake and cut into my muscle bellies, I believe its called and I was really starting to bleed. The doctor was trying to leave the operating room when he was finished and let the other close me up but one nurse told him she is concerned with how much I am bleeding and how they still need him. He responded by saying 'she will either stop bleeding on her own or she will just clot, she will be fine just close her up I have another surgery I am supposed to be in like, right now' so they closed me up and took me to a room where the anestesiogist was making a report or something on a computer and my nurse was also putting things in a computer. My boyfriend walked over to me and stepped in a puddle of my blood and then peened under my gown where he saw lots of blood coming from my vagina. He told the nurse how much I was bleeding and she said that's normal with c sections so it was left at that for the moment. I held my daughter after they weighed her for a whole 5 minutes before they took me to my room but anyways, throughout the night they kept drawing blood and drawing more blood every so often. They were also coming in to change my pads and the dressing on my would because that was also excessively bleeding I was told. The next morning about 11 1/2 hours later I was screaming in pain, the nurses were late to give me my pain medication, and my boyfriend looked at me and immediately called family to the hospital cause he knew something was wrong. I was white as a ghost and my lips were almost black. His family got there took one look at me and demanded doctors. One came in to see me who even admitted that someone messed up during my surgery, she thinks they cut into a muscle they shouldn't have. She immediately gathered a surgical team and I was rushed to emergency surgery where they had to cut me open again and stop the bleeding. They told my boyfriend to call any family that can come to the hospital because there is 83% chance I will die. They told him that after the surgery to look at this screen, if its green I am alive if its red I died and yellow I am in a coma. In recovery, one of the doctors who stopped the bleeding thought I was still sleeping, told his nurse he is sick of these other nurses bringing him half dead patients. So it was a close call and I definitely believe this could have been prevented if my doctor wasn't in such a hurry and if he would have stopped the bleeding during the c section since he was made aware I was bleeding more than normal.
Does this sound like I have grounds to sue the hospital or that doctor?
I missed my daughters first 5 days of life because of this second surgery. Someone needs to be responsible for that, I don't want this to happen to another mommy, it is traumatizing She was in the special nursery while i was in the ICU because she wasn't allowed in there.
Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated I need it!!

Dave1952

Look in the local phone book for medical malpractice lawyers who work on contingency. Contingency means that you pay little or nothing up-front and the lawyer gets a big cut out of any winnings. So call a few and tell your story. Likely someone will be interested enough to look at your medical records.

justalayman

You need to understand that mistakes or situations such as yours don't always rise to the level of malpractice. Even in those that do, the damages are not great enough to to warrant litigating the matter. Litigating a medical malpractice issue can be very expensive so if the possible award does not justify it, you would have difficulty finding an attorney willing to take this on a contingency basis.

I'm not saying there's no chance of this going somewhere. I just want you to understand it may not and a few reasons it may not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">