• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKKG

What is the name of your state? IN
Okay here is my question I went to the hospital to get a consent form for my boyfriend for his medical records. Insteasd the lady never made me sign anything, never asked me my name, just handed over his records. He wants to sue, just for the fact that she had no idea who I was and it leaves an uneasy feeling that anyone could walk in and obtain your personal information. Any advice? And no...we aren't just scheming for free money so please don't be rude...

lealea1005

What is the name of your state? IN
Okay here is my question I went to the hospital to get a consent form for my boyfriend for his medical records. Insteasd the lady never made me sign anything, never asked me my name, just handed over his records. He wants to sue, just for the fact that she had no idea who I was and it leaves an uneasy feeling that anyone could walk in and obtain your personal information. Any advice? And no...we aren't just scheming for free money so please don't be rude...

There are no provision for a monetary payout to your boyfriend for a HIPAA violation. He can file a complaint with them and they will investigate the violation with the hospital. He can also write a letter to the CEO of the hospital with a copy going to the head of medical records, explaining what happened. They will, in turn, counsel the employee and probably retrain her and the other employees in the department.

Edit to add: he can google hhs.gov or hipaa.org for instructions

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">