• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikichloe

What is the name of your state? NH
I work for a hospital and had to have a physcial through employee health. Employee health told my boss the results of one of my tests and she told my coworkers. Do I have a case?

ecmst12

Information that your employer receives due to your employment, not because of any treatment relationship, is not covered by HIPAA. Your boss was entitled to the results because it was an employment physical, and she did not have the same obligations of confidentiality as if you were a patient.

lya

What is the name of your state? NH
I work for a hospital and had to have a physcial through employee health. Employee health told my boss the results of one of my tests and she told my coworkers. Do I have a case?
If you work at a hospital, you know your resource person for your question. Knowing it is a JCAHO requirement. HINT: there are two possible answers, which are : 1) I don't know but my supervisor does and I will ask him/her. 2) the name of the hospital's privacy officer.

So, your resource is just a phone call away. Call the Privacy Officer and ask him/her. The situation will be handled accordingly.

AND--it was a HIPAA violation to tell the coworker.

NOW--am I the only one who will be glad when finals are over and the classroom HIPAA questions and scenarios end?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">