• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPAA Violation??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

diJ;3332889]I do not agree. She was no longer an employee of the doctor when that happened...and she was no longer an employee when she was given the documents. She was already fired. I think that the HIPAA violation occurred when she was given the documents.
doesn't matter. The info was legal for her to view as she was an employee and under that relationship the info was accessible to her and it carried forward. The restrictions of distributing protected information remain in place forever.

However, this is something that we could all debate for days...and said debate would be of little to no use to the poster.
actually it could be of use to the poster's girlfriend since reporting this information means she may be subject to criminal penalties for distributing protected information.

I say return the documents to the doctor's office with a note stating a belief that having the documents in her possession is a HIPAA violation, and move on
it isn't a violation for her to have them but it is a violation for her to distribute the information to anybody that is not also privy to that same information under the same reasoning.

ecmst12

JAL is correct. It is acceptable for her to have access to the information but she is still bound by HIPAA to not disclose that information for improper reasons. She violated HIPAA and needs to destroy the information before someone else who shouldn't sees it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">