• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hippa Violation ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bayougal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana. I just need to know if a HIPPA violation has occurred. My son was seeing a doctor that his wife worked for in Florida. They are now separated. Well, then she told him that she will use his medical records and play dirty if she has to. In other words she is holding his medical records hostage. He has her text message saying this. She has tried to get his medical records "Under the table " so to speak. A friend of her denied her access and told her she had to go through proper channels. She tried to coax her friend into giving them to her. She also told me that, she told the Dr to change his medication and that if I told my son or anybody else. She would deny telling me this and that she never said this to me. I am concerned as to what she will do with his patient info. She was also giving him samples from the Dr. Like Zoloft and Lexapro and the Dr. did not know she was giving him these meds. She was self diagnosing him. I am concerned as to what else she is doing. She is a nurse and I concerned.

Last edited:

lealea1005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana. I just need to know if a HIPPA violation has occurred. My son was seeing a doctor that his wife worked for in Florida. They are now separated. Well, then she told him that she will use his medical records and play dirty if she has to. In other words she is holding his medical records hostage. He has her text message saying this. She has tried to get his medical records "Under the table " so to speak. A friend of her denied her access and told her she had to go through proper channels. She tried to coax her friend into giving them to her. She also told me that, she told the Dr to change his medication and that if I told my son or anybody else. She would deny telling me this and that she never said this to me. I am concerned as to what she will do with his patient info. She was also giving him samples from the Dr. Like Zoloft and Lexapro and the Dr. did not know she was giving him these meds. She was self diagnosing him. I am concerned as to what else she is doing. She is a nurse and I concerned.

First, it's HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accessibility Act).

A Physician does not change his/her patient's medication because their spouse (or anyone else) tells them to. If she was diagnosing and dispensing medications, she will lose her nursing license and, possibly, face criminal charges. Your son may want to make a complaint with her licensing board.

Your SON also needs to speak with his Physician immediately. He can specifically indicate that he does not want her to have access to his PHI. If he was taking the medication you listed without his Physician's knowledge, don't be surprised if he's exited from the practice.

IMHO, she's full of...well, you know.

ETA: If her boss was smart, he'd fire her behind immediately!

Last edited:

ecmst12

When he requests that she not be allowed to access his PHI, he should do so IN WRITING.

I would advise him to change doctors though, as long as she is working in that office it could be a conflict of interest and it is just easier that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">