• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPPA Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ggower6295

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I have been going to a state methadone clinic for about 3 years now. The other day my counselor told my husband without me present that I was not going to be able to have my medication for the day because I appeared under the influence.

I had to take a drug test and she told my husband what the drug test was positive for. My counselor or my husband did not know it but I was right down the hall and heard it all. I just wanted to know if this is a violation of my rights and if so if I might have a case

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

I have been going to a state methadone clinic for about 3 years now. The other day my counselor told my husband without me present that I was not going to be able to have my medication for the day because I appeared under the influence.

I had to take a drug test and she told my husband what the drug test was positive for. My counselor or my husband did not know it but I was right down the hall and heard it all. I just wanted to know if this is a violation of my rights and if so if I might have a case
It's HIPAA. And what happened doesn't violate HIPAA. :cool:

LawWho must follow this law?• Most doctors, nurses, pharmacies, hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, and many other health care providers• Health insurance companies, HMOs, most employer group health plans• Certain government programs that pay for health care, such as Medicare and MedicaidWhat information is protected?• Information your doctors, nurses, and other health care providers put in your medical record• Conversations your doctor has about your care or treatment with nurses and others• Information about you in your health insurer’s computer system• Billing information about you at your clinic• Most other health information about you held by those who must follow this law
Page
To make sure that your information is protected in a way that does not interfere with your health care, your information can be used and shared• For your treatment and care coordination• To pay doctors and hospitals for your health care and help run their businesses• With your family, relatives, friends or others you identify who are involved with your health care or your health care
object

• To make sure doctors give good care and
nursing homes are clean and safe
• To protect the public’s health, such as by
reporting when the fl u is in your area
• To make required reports to the police, such as
reporting gunshot wounds
Summary of the HIPAA Security Rule

ecmst12

It is likely that you gave permission for them to speak to your husband at the time you enrolled with the clinic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">