• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

holding back medication

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

judylazz

What is the name of your state? ILLinois

I called my doctor for a refill on my mediCATION for mu stomach called asaphax treatment for gastritis. they told me i have an outstanding bill which i have to fight my old insurance company on. but they told me they wont fill my refill until I pay half of my bill which is $700 dollars can they do this??

rmet4nzkx

judylazz said:
What is the name of your state? ILLinois

I called my doctor for a refill on my mediCATION for mu stomach called asaphax treatment for gastritis. they told me i have an outstanding bill which i have to fight my old insurance company on. but they told me they wont fill my refill until I pay half of my bill which is $700 dollars can they do this??
Yes they can refuse to treat you etc until payment arrangements are made. While they may accept your insurance, you are still responsible for the bill.
You should also learn to spell the names of your medications it is not Asaphax, it is Aciphex (or Rabeprazole) you should also understand that medications of this same drug class are now available over the counter so you might consult your pharmacist if you cannot afford to pay your doctor bill at the present time or get the insurance problem resolved.

zippysgoddess

And yes, they can do this. The docs office is under no legal obligation to treat you in any way, unless you are in the office for some reason and suffer a medical emergency, and they are under no obligation to prescribe you anything.

If you don't pay your bill, they don't even have to keep you on as a patient at all!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">