• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital Billing and Collection Agencies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Doerthe Manahan

My husband suffered a stroke a year ago. We received a bill for a substantial co-pay from the hospital. We have been making monthly payments since. Several months after beginning payments, the hospital turned our account over the a collection agency and reported our case to the state to intercept and turn over to the hospital any state tax refund we might be entitled to. Is this a legal process, even though we have not missed any monthly payments?

Also, is there any truth to the information I that hospital 'sell' outstanding patient debts to collection agencies?

ecmst12

Your state would be helpful.

Did you have a payment plan agreement with the hospital or did you just take it upon yourself to pay monthly? If you just decided to pay monthly, then you should not be surprised that you got sent to collections. Had you contacted the billing dept and gotten an agreed-on payment plan, this might not have happened.

How much have you been paying compared to the total bill?

tranquility

The state is imperative as I don't see how they can redirect tax refunds without a judgment. (At least in my state.)

ecmst12

There's at least one state where they can, I think it's SC? Or maybe NC? It's been talked about here before. It might have to be a state-affiliated hospital too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">