• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital discharge an emergency patient from an accident because she had no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shussain24

I have a question in regards to I believe a wrong behavior by a hospital (Herman Memorial). This happened with my wife in the year 2013 she had an accident and had damaged the spinal rods and things she had in place from a surgery she had in her teens for Scoliosis under CHIP. At the time when the accident happened for some reason she did not have health insurance, due to this the hospital discharged her in about 4 hours and never even bothered to connect with her doctor, she was in excruciating pain, but the hospital did not care as she didn't have insurance. The accident was also noted as her fault because the vehicle that caused her to wave off the lane ran off even though there were witnesses still she was noted as at fault.

After we got married with me last December I started looking in to and question how is it possible for the Hospital to do that. I still do not understand, even if it is a million dollar bill they have to operate and bill it. I feel it was racially, ethnically, geographically and was judged according to social status. She and her family are/were not so bright people with odd jobs and not much smart about the law etc. and were taken advantage of. This whole ordeal disturbs me, not just for my wife but anyone in the future.

She had never even went for a check to see what damage was done, after we got married, I had her motivated to get a job in well established corporate company even if it is part time, she then joined a bank where she works today as a part time teller, the good thing was she got full health benefits, she went for a check with her doctor, the same doctor she had her surgeries in her teen. He said no one ever contacted him or asked and was unaware of her accident. Anyways after the check something was out of place and she is having a major surgery next week and the doctor had noticed a crack in the fusion after looking at all the results from MRI etc.

I would like to know what could be possible to be done in this regard as it seems like a human life is taken way too easily and someone that can be taken advantage of is taken easily.

The only problem is her accident took place in 2013, it took 3 years of pain for her to reach here. I want to know what could we do.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I have a question in regards to I believe a wrong behavior by a hospital (Herman Memorial). This happened with my wife in the year 2013 she had an accident and had damaged the spinal rods and things she had in place from a surgery she had in her teens for Scoliosis under CHIP. At the time when the accident happened for some reason she did not have health insurance, due to this the hospital discharged her in about 4 hours and never even bothered to connect with her doctor, she was in excruciating pain, but the hospital did not care as she didn't have insurance. The accident was also noted as her fault because the vehicle that caused her to wave off the lane ran off even though there were witnesses still she was noted as at fault.

After we got married with me last December I started looking in to and question how is it possible for the Hospital to do that. I still do not understand, even if it is a million dollar bill they have to operate and bill it. I feel it was racially, ethnically, geographically and was judged according to social status. She and her family are/were not so bright people with odd jobs and not much smart about the law etc. and were taken advantage of. This whole ordeal disturbs me, not just for my wife but anyone in the future.

She had never even went for a check to see what damage was done, after we got married, I had her motivated to get a job in well established corporate company even if it is part time, she then joined a bank where she works today as a part time teller, the good thing was she got full health benefits, she went for a check with her doctor, the same doctor she had her surgeries in her teen. He said no one ever contacted him or asked and was unaware of her accident. Anyways after the check something was out of place and she is having a major surgery next week and the doctor had noticed a crack in the fusion after looking at all the results from MRI etc.

I would like to know what could be possible to be done in this regard as it seems like a human life is taken way too easily and someone that can be taken advantage of is taken easily.

The only problem is her accident took place in 2013, it took 3 years of pain for her to reach here. I want to know what could we do.
Emergency departments are only tasked with making sure that those with no insurance aren't going to die before they are released. Your wife could have contacted her primary physician and let him know about the accident; why did she not do that?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

What US state did this occur in? (I'll assume Texas)

Generally, the ER is only required to stabilize her. Beyond that, she should have followed up with appropriate medical practitioners.

Furthermore, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice is 2 years. If this happened 3 years ago, then it's too late to do anything.

shussain24

Emergency departments are only tasked with making sure that those with no insurance aren't going to die before they are released. Your wife could have contacted her primary physician and let him know about the accident; why did she not do that?
That is a good question! and Thanks for all your responses!

shussain24

What US state did this occur in? (I'll assume Texas)

Generally, the ER is only required to stabilize her. Beyond that, she should have followed up with appropriate medical practitioners.

Furthermore, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice is 2 years. If this happened 3 years ago, then it's too late to do anything.
Yes this was in Texas, and yes I saw the statute of limitations was 2 years, but still it just really mind boggles me as a human to see this, I am not familiar with the health care system here, I have lived mostly in the UK, middle east and far east, this is just ridiculous. In my head doesn't matter what the statute of limitation is or what the emergency is supposed to do or not, it is what we as humans are supposed to do and it is just pathetic. I am definitely going to move out whenever I can.

Silverplum

Yes this was in Texas, and yes I saw the statute of limitations was 2 years, but still it just really mind boggles me as a human to see this, I am not familiar with the health care system here, I have lived mostly in the UK, middle east and far east, this is just ridiculous. In my head doesn't matter what the statute of limitation is or what the emergency is supposed to do or not, it is what we as humans are supposed to do and it is just pathetic. I am definitely going to move out whenever I can.
*waves bye-bye*

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">