• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hospital won't dismiss charges for a completely wrong diagnose and tests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, my issue is not huge when compared with errors or malpractice that put people's health and lives in danger, but it does have a financial impact. It's $300, but it's $280 more than I should have to spend.

In December 2015 I had a sudden strong pain in the upper shoulder/neck area. Since it was very painful I went to urgent care at UCSF in order to get checked and get some medication. My United Healthcare insurance for urgent care requires a co-pay for only $20, so there I went.

I informed the receptionist the reason for my visit was pain on the upper shoulder/neck area and that it had appeared suddenly probably after an abrupt movement. Told the same thing to the nurse, and then to the doctor. The doctor examines me for 30 seconds and says he would like x-rays. I was surprised for the need of xray, but hey, he is the doctor not me. I go to Radiology and take xrays, they said they would contact me if there were any issues.

The very next day I went to physical therapy. My insurance doesn't require PT prescription for up to 12 visits so she started treating me for Neck Pain, but I asked UCSF to send a PT prescription to her if I need to go longer than 12. That's when I realized my records at UCSF also said my visit was for Chest Pain, and the XRays had been for Chest Wall Pain. The XRay commentary was just about how my heart and lungs were normal. So the entire visit was based on me having chest pain, when I was there for a very different problem. I ended up having to go see another doctor just to get the correct PT prescription, which incurred time and money.

Then I start getting calls from debt collector. Mind you, I never got an invoice at home. I find out I owe $300 to UCSF since I had a $300 deductible. I don't know why but they billed the Xray as an outpatient radiology visit. I have already written to UCSF, talked to customer service, about dismissing my charges, or at least submitting the bill in a different way since the xray was part of the urgent care visit. I have also tried working with my insurance company to no avail.

Sorry for the long store, but I am trying to get opinions about going to small claims court to dismiss my charge and potentially seek compensation for the time and stress trying to deal with this.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you very much

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, my issue is not huge when compared with errors or malpractice that put people's health and lives in danger, but it does have a financial impact. It's $300, but it's $280 more than I should have to spend.

In December 2015 I had a sudden strong pain in the upper shoulder/neck area. Since it was very painful I went to urgent care at UCSF in order to get checked and get some medication. My United Healthcare insurance for urgent care requires a co-pay for only $20, so there I went.

I informed the receptionist the reason for my visit was pain on the upper shoulder/neck area and that it had appeared suddenly probably after an abrupt movement. Told the same thing to the nurse, and then to the doctor. The doctor examines me for 30 seconds and says he would like x-rays. I was surprised for the need of xray, but hey, he is the doctor not me. I go to Radiology and take xrays, they said they would contact me if there were any issues.

The very next day I went to physical therapy. My insurance doesn't require PT prescription for up to 12 visits so she started treating me for Neck Pain, but I asked UCSF to send a PT prescription to her if I need to go longer than 12. That's when I realized my records at UCSF also said my visit was for Chest Pain, and the XRays had been for Chest Wall Pain. The XRay commentary was just about how my heart and lungs were normal. So the entire visit was based on me having chest pain, when I was there for a very different problem. I ended up having to go see another doctor just to get the correct PT prescription, which incurred time and money.

Then I start getting calls from debt collector. Mind you, I never got an invoice at home. I find out I owe $300 to UCSF since I had a $300 deductible. I don't know why but they billed the Xray as an outpatient radiology visit. I have already written to UCSF, talked to customer service, about dismissing my charges, or at least submitting the bill in a different way since the xray was part of the urgent care visit. I have also tried working with my insurance company to no avail.

Sorry for the long store, but I am trying to get opinions about going to small claims court to dismiss my charge and potentially seek compensation for the time and stress trying to deal with this.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you very much
"Time and stress" are not things for which you can sue in small claims. Actual damages would be the money.

In future, take double painkillers and go to a chiropractor for neck/shoulder pain: I give you that advice based on personal experience, having gone to the ER at 3 am myself. ;)

"Time and stress" are not things for which you can sue in small claims. Actual damages would be the money.

In future, take double painkillers and go to a chiropractor for neck/shoulder pain: I give you that advice based on personal experience, having gone to the ER at 3 am myself. ;)
Ok, damages. I just don't want to pay $300 for getting 0 service for my problem. Do I have a good case for small claims? BTW, are you a Lawyer?
Thanks

ecmst12

The x-ray was appropriate given your symptoms, and "outpatient radiology" is the proper category of service. Pay the bill and be happy that you did not have a problem with your heart or lungs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">