• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get my complete medical record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user4010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Dentistry
I requested my medical record from dentist long time ago after his failed treatment. Even 60 days of limit given by law is passed. So far I got incomplete and inconsistent medical record from him. I requested remaining critical medical records(like X-RAY) by phone and email. So far no answer. So how to get my complete record?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't know where you are (the last time I checked, "Dentistry" is not a US state.)

Have you offered the doctor money? I mean, the x-rays ARE his property...

I requested my medical record from dentist long time ago after his failed treatment. Even 60 days of limit given by law is passed. So far I got incomplete and inconsistent medical record from him. I requested remaining critical medical records(like X-RAY) by phone and email. So far no answer. So how to get my complete record?

ecmst12

Send a regular letter via certified mail with return receipt requested. Make sure you include any fee that they require for copying.

user4010

I don't know where you are (the last time I checked, "Dentistry" is not a US state.)

Have you offered the doctor money? I mean, the x-rays ARE his property...
It's Virginia. He didn't ask any fee. Because it will be sent via email. He already charged enough for X-RAY before treatment.

Last edited:

Gail in Georgia

"He already charged enough for X-RAY before treatment. "

Hard to believe he didn't immediately jump on the bandwagon and send these out to you.

Gail

ecmst12

That would be dumb. He is allowed to charge a reasonable copying fee but he's not allowed to take bribes to produce records. But, OP needs to request them the proper way, in writing, before the clock starts ticking on his time limit to provide them.

barry1817

dental

Check with your state dental board about the necessity of a dentist to provide records when requested, what the cost might be to you to have records copied, and you should have a new dentist request your records, that usually helps.

If all else fails, having a friend that is an attorney requesting the records normally gets them very quickly as well.

Proserpina

Films including x-rays are actually the property of the provider, not the patient.

The patient is absolutely free to pay the provider for a copy of those films.

arsenic

Films including x-rays are actually the property of the provider, not the patient.

The patient is absolutely free to pay the provider for a copy of those films.

No provider is going to give you the films for a few hundred bucks if he/she doesn't already for the cost of reproduction. The patient is entitled to a report of said Xrays. If the records are not provided in a timely manner, the physician will get a published reprimand from the Medical Board. That is not good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Proserpina

No provider is going to give you the films for a few hundred bucks if he/she doesn't already for the cost of reproduction. The patient is entitled to a report of said Xrays.
?

Where did I say the patient wasn't entitled to a copy of the REPORT?

Last edited by a moderator:

user4010

What is next?

I already sent certified mail and called several times. They released some x-ray but still they're withholding some part of my medical record.
What is next?

Send a regular letter via certified mail with return receipt requested. Make sure you include any fee that they require for copying.

swalsh411

Maybe they don't have them anymore. Maybe they are worried you are going to sue them so they got "lost".

Have you tried asking your new dentist to request them? I assume you have a new dentist because you are not qualified to interpret the x-rays.

Virginia statue on HIPAA and medical records.

32.1-127.1:03. Health records privacy.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+32.1-127.1C03

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">