• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long can a doctor wait to bill me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ktk108

What is the name of your state?CA
I have just recieved a bill for an MRI I had done a year ago. Is it legal for them to wait so long? My health ins. processed the information one month after the date of the MRI, but my out of pocket max wasn't met yet. Due to the circumstances involving the injury and claim if I had received the bill last year it would have been covered by my auto ins. - but the claim is closed now. Is there anything I can do at this point?

Thank you!

ablessin

You might be able to file an appeal with the carrier even though the case is closed. Asking them to consider the bill...... if it's dated your case will be easy to make.

Call and ask.

yes, they can wait - is it fair? No, certainly not. But sometimes it takes large offices a while to get their ducks in a row.

If you don't get anywhere with the case, contact the office manager and complain about the delay in billing. Some offices have standards in that untimely billing on their end to the patient will result in some sort of discount, but the patient has to be savvy enough to ask for it

barry1817

how long to bill

A person shouldn't be penalized if a legitimate bill is somehow lost or misplaced. There is an obligation to pay for the services rendered.

You may wish to ask legal aid about statute of limitations for collections of a debt. You would ask if a service was provided on day 1, on what date can they no longer collect, and you would also have to ask about whether the statute runs from first attempt to collect or from time of service provided.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">