• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I just want my husband home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

merryX2012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Hello.
My husband is in a physical rehabilitation center after two back surgeries he asked to go there only to make sure he was able to walk and take care of his own basic needs without falling or hurting himself. The resident doctor has changed his orders and he has ordered that my husband can not leave for more then four hours and he may not take any of his pain medications with him if he does. He is not getting his pain medication as prescribed, nor his other medications for the infection that started this mess. and the doctor has added other medication that is effecting his mind and he is forgetting everything. (he is only 53) we have been told that I can take him home anytime I want but he will not be getting any of the 13 prescriptions that he needs, and that if I do bring him home our insurance most likely will not cover any of his stay at the rehab center, what are my options for getting him out of there legally with everything he needs? oh and I should let you know his release papers from the hospital say he is released to come home.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
Hello.
My husband is in a physical rehabilitation center after two back surgeries he asked to go there only to make sure he was able to walk and take care of his own basic needs without falling or hurting himself. The resident doctor has changed his orders and he has ordered that my husband can not leave for more then four hours and he may not take any of his pain medications with him if he does. He is not getting his pain medication as prescribed, nor his other medications for the infection that started this mess. and the doctor has added other medication that is effecting his mind and he is forgetting everything. (he is only 53) we have been told that I can take him home anytime I want but he will not be getting any of the 13 prescriptions that he needs, and that if I do bring him home our insurance most likely will not cover any of his stay at the rehab center, what are my options for getting him out of there legally with everything he needs? oh and I should let you know his release papers from the hospital say he is released to come home.
Is your husband under the care of a primary physician who can prescribe his needed medications?

merryX2012

no at the time this started he did not have a PCP and I an having difficulties find one that knows anything about his conditions.

ShyCat

Well, you certainly cannot expect the rehab center to act as his PCP once he's home, that's not what they do. If he needs those prescriptions after he leaves rehab, he needs ongoing medical care/oversight that you cannot provide and so they're not releasing him to go home until it is safe to do so. If he leaves AMA (Against Medical Advice) then the health insurance may indeed deny the claim for rehab. If it's impossible to find him a PCP, that should indicate that he's better there than at home, despite what you want.

ecmst12

He should have a case manager who is working on discharge planning for him. You need to speak with that person. You need to find out what his goals are for release, what he needs to be able to do on his own so that he will be able to take care of himself safely once he's home. And they can help get him set up with the proper doctors for follow up after he is discharged.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">