• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal 5150/5250 hold?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carpediem!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am curious to know, I was placed on a 5150 hold( nobody notified me in the emergency room, they just wheeled me to the mental part of the hospital and said I was going to be evaluated) for what? I was never told.- Nobody could tell me why, not even the psychiatrist. The only thing I remember him saying was that I smiled too much which was not normal and I was there for observation. - Now, I figured okay this is not right, but I will cooperate and contact a lawyer when I am released. Well check this out! I was told I was being placed on a 5250 for "further observation" sometime within those 3 days. Then I was mad, I did not do anything wrong, to myself or anyone else! A judge came for a hearing who then gave me a copy of this decision for the 5250, and stated it was because I was gravely disabled! Absolutely ridiculous. I find it funny how I could have even been considered gravely disabled when I was working TWO full time jobs Sunday through Saturday, and making somewhere around 4,000 a month (for a 21 year old with no degree that is pretty good!) I was working in two different counties, so I was paying for a hotel daily/weekly.....I lost BOTH of my jobs after this mental stay....There is a lot of more details but how is this legal?? This occurred in the end of December of 2009 so I know it is way past due to do anything about it. But the story continues and during this stay, I had an "issue" with one of the psych techs, and basically I asked him for a salt packet just as lunch trays were being handed out, he asked me to wait until my tray was handed to me, and for one reason or another(probably being forced to stay in there because I smiled too much!) I really did not have much patience to wait 10 minutes for a packet of salt. Anyway, I just took one off a tray that was stacked in one of those metal carts. This staff proceeds to tackle me and puts me in a headlock!! I kid you not!!! how was THAT justified??? how is that legal, sane, or permissible? I can understand if this man felt he was in danger or anyone else was, but even if that was the case...what could I possibly do with a miniature salt packet? by the way this salt was for a sore throat! I felt like I was attacked so I bit this guy as hard as I could. flight or fight response I guess, and was then restrained of course that part I understand, of course the he was in the right and me being the patient I was in the wrong. If I remember right the only other worker who saw this whole thing happen was a janitor, who clearly did not want to get involved or loose his job over it, and even said a lot of unfair things happen like that in there :( . The police were called apparently the staff wanted to press charges, but its funny how he changed his mind and didn't! I wish he would have:( Are there security cameras in these facilities. I feel like other patients would not at all be good witnesses. I never did anything about it, but eventually I got frustrated being stuck in there for not at all a legitimate reason, so I tried to break out NOT a good idea. I broke a glass door to the outside in attempts to AWOL, police were called, I was taken to jail, and I was convicted....Today I went to view the file at the clerks office, and was shocked at what I read in the police report! apparently the psychiatrist stated I was bi-polar, with various mood disorders, and extremely violent with unpredictable behavior. I could have a million and one people say the complete opposite, from former employers, to teachers, to friends, to family....MY ENTIRE LIFE HISTORY OF PEOPLE.... How do I explain all of this to a potential employer? anyone can go and view this file. I feel it is totally illegitimate. well as far as breaking the window, I did that yes, but in attempts to get out. It felt like I was a science project in there. I mean come on holding someone for observation because they smile too much? I did not want to take the medication they wanted me to take, I eventually took it as they told me if I did not I would not be able to leave, whatever that medication was, really altered my personality ALOT! that was probably one of the most upsetting parts of being there. the after effects of the medication that I supposedly HAD to take or they would not let me leave, sounds exactly like a science project to me! ...any advice is greatly appreciated.

OHRoadwarrior

I can't speak for how you ended up there, however, your actions once there suggest maybe they had made a correct assessment.

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I am curious to know, I was placed on a 5150 hold( nobody notified me in the emergency room, they just wheeled me to the mental part of the hospital and said I was going to be evaluated) for what? I was never told.- Nobody could tell me why, not even the psychiatrist. The only thing I remember him saying was that I smiled too much which was not normal and I was there for observation. - Now, I figured okay this is not right, but I will cooperate and contact a lawyer when I am released. Well check this out! I was told I was being placed on a 5250 for "further observation" sometime within those 3 days. Then I was mad, I did not do anything wrong, to myself or anyone else! A judge came for a hearing who then gave me a copy of this decision for the 5250, and stated it was because I was gravely disabled! Absolutely ridiculous. I find it funny how I could have even been considered gravely disabled when I was working TWO full time jobs Sunday through Saturday, and making somewhere around 4,000 a month (for a 21 year old with no degree that is pretty good!) I was working in two different counties, so I was paying for a hotel daily/weekly.....I lost BOTH of my jobs after this mental stay....There is a lot of more details but how is this legal?? This occurred in the end of December of 2009 so I know it is way past due to do anything about it. But the story continues and during this stay, I had an "issue" with one of the psych techs, and basically I asked him for a salt packet just as lunch trays were being handed out, he asked me to wait until my tray was handed to me, and for one reason or another(probably being forced to stay in there because I smiled too much!) I really did not have much patience to wait 10 minutes for a packet of salt. Anyway, I just took one off a tray that was stacked in one of those metal carts. This staff proceeds to tackle me and puts me in a headlock!! I kid you not!!! how was THAT justified??? how is that legal, sane, or permissible? I can understand if this man felt he was in danger or anyone else was, but even if that was the case...what could I possibly do with a miniature salt packet? by the way this salt was for a sore throat! I felt like I was attacked so I bit this guy as hard as I could. flight or fight response I guess, and was then restrained of course that part I understand, of course the he was in the right and me being the patient I was in the wrong. If I remember right the only other worker who saw this whole thing happen was a janitor, who clearly did not want to get involved or loose his job over it, and even said a lot of unfair things happen like that in there :( . The police were called apparently the staff wanted to press charges, but its funny how he changed his mind and didn't! I wish he would have:( Are there security cameras in these facilities. I feel like other patients would not at all be good witnesses. I never did anything about it, but eventually I got frustrated being stuck in there for not at all a legitimate reason, so I tried to break out NOT a good idea. I broke a glass door to the outside in attempts to AWOL, police were called, I was taken to jail, and I was convicted....Today I went to view the file at the clerks office, and was shocked at what I read in the police report! apparently the psychiatrist stated I was bi-polar, with various mood disorders, and extremely violent with unpredictable behavior. I could have a million and one people say the complete opposite, from former employers, to teachers, to friends, to family....MY ENTIRE LIFE HISTORY OF PEOPLE.... How do I explain all of this to a potential employer? anyone can go and view this file. I feel it is totally illegitimate. well as far as breaking the window, I did that yes, but in attempts to get out. It felt like I was a science project in there. I mean come on holding someone for observation because they smile too much? I did not want to take the medication they wanted me to take, I eventually took it as they told me if I did not I would not be able to leave, whatever that medication was, really altered my personality ALOT! that was probably one of the most upsetting parts of being there. the after effects of the medication that I supposedly HAD to take or they would not let me leave, sounds exactly like a science project to me! ...any advice is greatly appreciated.
Biting orderlies and breaking windows to escape 2-West are NOT examples of trying to prove your sanity! :rolleyes: Frankly, I'm shocked (perhaps shocked isn't a proper word) that you didn't receive a couple ECT's (Electric Convulsive Therapy treatments) while you were a patient. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">