• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for a doctor to withhold results from an mri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Audiwinn

So, I had an mri done on my hips and pelvis, and the results showed a dermoid tumor on my ovary, they put it in a report almost three months ago, but I didnt find out till I requested a copy of my reports today. Is this illegal? They addressed my fractures but completely failed to acknowledge the tumors existance

Dave1952

Is there any reason to think that this cyst is not benign? Why would your doctor go over every possible harmless abnormality that is seen during testing? It may upset the patient and result in needless further tests. This does not sound like actionable behavior.
So, what have you done about this cyst?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
So, I had an mri done on my hips and pelvis, and the results showed a dermoid tumor on my ovary, they put it in a report almost three months ago, but I didnt find out till I requested a copy of my reports today. Is this illegal? They addressed my fractures but completely failed to acknowledge the tumors existance
I understand where you're coming from but - assuming you're in the US - a physician is not required to explain every last detail of what has or has not been seen on an imaging study.

justalayman

What type of Doctor addressed your fractures; an orthopaed maybe? If so, was the report also forwarded to your primary care physician or gynocologist? If so, has either contacted you and addressed this with you?

and the report you are referring to; a radiologists report?

As to it being illegal. Even if the doc was required to report this to you it would not reach the level of being illegal. It might be negligent but not illegal. Illegal refers to something that is unlawful and most often in reference to criminal law. Even if the doctor was negligent it would not rise to the level of unlawful, and especially not criminal.

ecmst12

This is known as an incidental finding. Something unrelated to what they were looking for, which is unlikely to cause any problems for you. The doctor treating your fractures isn't really qualified to address it, but if it was significant or needed attention, they should have advised you to follow up with your OB/GYN. Have you been having any symptoms related to the cyst?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">