• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal in MA for a health care provider to ask nationality?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebaysucks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I went to a healthcare clinic for an appointment. Since it was my first time there I was asked to go to a cubicle
to answer some questions, signs some papers etc. You know the routine stuff. The lady started asking me questions
that almost sounded like a survey. I was asked if I was married, how much I made etc. I really didn't see how any of that
was relative. I have healthcare through Masshealth and really all she should have been asking is for my card and ID etc since
I was in the system. Then she asks me "what is your nationality"? Now let me be perfectly clear she did not ask my ethnicity.
This Cape Verdean woman asked me what my nationality was. When I was in shock she said she had to ask and then asked,
what are you like an American? After 3 hours waiting for an appointment and watching patients walk in and out it became clear
to me I was being ignored. I watched people bring someone in and go in the back telling them they'd get them in fast. It all seemed
like a family affair. I don't think 3 hours to wait is normal. Maybe if you went over the hospital but for an appointment? I mean
before I went in this waiting room called urgent care the physician's assistant talked with the doctor. I was told I'd be taken now.
I wasn't. I eventually walked out. What does nationality have to do with healthcare? Not ethnicity but nationality and she knew
exactly what she was saying as she toned it "what are you like an American" like that was something inferior. I was born in this city.
Based upon her accent and my knowledge of the sanctuary city she wasn't born in this country. Later that day I called 911 and was taken
to the hospital. That health clinic thought my resting pulse rate was normal. I know it wasn't. Almost every patient in that waiting room was
from another country. I suspect many were illegal. Again nationality not ethnicity. I understand how certain ethnicities will be susceptible to diseases
but not nationality. I haven't been following the MA legislature too close did they change something? Two governors ago declared illegal aliens would
not be denied healthcare. Did something change? I'm an American. I clearly have a regional accent. I fail to see the reason. I know it's illegal for a cop
to go up to someone and ask them if they're an American. An employer can't exactly ask that. They can ask for id but just come out and say, "what are you like an American"? I'm also older than 40. By that I mean 40 years ago those people were not in this city. I tell you I have a good mind to go bring the stars and stripes and plant myself on the side walk outside this clinic. Trust me I'd get attacked if not killed.

OHRoadwarrior

It is against the law for Masshealth to provide insurance to illegals, even if they violate state and Federal law and do it regardless. The facility has a right to know if they will potentially be denied payment because you are illegally receiving benefits. If they decide to provide care they might not receive compensation for, it only makes sense they would take cases they know they will be paid to take first.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/01/state-gives-illegal-aliens-35-mil-healthcare-meds-physical-therapy/

ebaysucks

It is against the law for Masshealth to provide insurance to illegals, even if they violate state and Federal law and do it regardless. The facility has a right to know if they will potentially be denied payment because you are illegally receiving benefits.
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/01/state-gives-illegal-aliens-35-mil-healthcare-meds-physical-therapy/
Yes I know that but a hospital won't deny an illegal for example. I'm not illegal and I was approved by Masshealth not this clinic. I had
my card with the number on it that is in the system. Everything is up to date.

OHRoadwarrior

It appears that was what they were trying to determine. Wanting to get paid is not out of line. There are specific laws regarding taking anyone for emergencies only. You were not an emergency and were uncooperative in helping them make a determination. Just because Masshealth approved you is not a guarantee they will get paid.

ebaysucks

It appears that was what they were trying to determine. Wanting to get paid is not out of line. There are specific laws regarding taking anyone for emergencies only. You were not an emergency and were uncooperative in helping them make a determination. Just because Masshealth approved you is not a guarantee they will get paid.
Uncooperative? How could I get a Massachusetts licence without being an American citizen? This question was asked after that. These people are non assimilated residents. Why the city just formed a committee to address that problem. You cannot get any kind of Massachusetts ID without proving who you are and where you came from. Holograms are pretty hard to replicate btw. This isn't the first time these people have talked down to me as an American. This is how they behave. They detest Americans. Just to illustrate how I arrive at this notion, once I went to a temp agency(notorious are they for hiring illegals)and the receptionist again who was Cape Verdean asks me, "You're from Brockton? You don't sound like it". I'm sorry that you feel foreigners should treat Americans like dirt. If roles were reversed and I went to their country and acted so arrogantly and talked down to the natives I'd be murdered. I think I will take my flag and pole down to that clinic and stand on the sidewalk, standing on top of their country's flag.

OHRoadwarrior

I'm sorry you have so many problems. The issue goes all the way to the White House and scofflaws in it and our other Federal Agencies that have decided enforcing immigration law is not a priority. I suggest you send an email on the White House web site outlining your constant problems due to his policies.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

... The lady started asking me questions that almost sounded like a survey ...

I have healthcare through Masshealth and really all she should have been asking is for my card and ID etc since
I was in the system. Then she asks me "what is your nationality"? Now let me be perfectly clear she did not ask my ethnicity.
This Cape Verdean woman asked me what my nationality was ... What does nationality have to do with healthcare? Not ethnicity but nationality ... Almost every patient in that waiting room was from another country. I suspect many were illegal ...
First, the questions you were asked probably have nothing to do with immigration, illegal aliens or insurance.

Hospitals and clinics are, and have been, collecting data for studies of disparity in health care. You were right in a way that the questions you were asked were a survey. The healthcare clinic you went to apparently treats a diverse population and the data collected from its patients is used, or will eventually be used, to help reduce disparate treatment between those of different races and ethnicities.

The questions asked include the language, race and ethnicity of the person. Previous studies showed that many patients have trouble differentiating between race and ethnicity. Those who are asking the questions may either likewise be confused or may need to ask additional questions when trying to gather the correct information. This is where the question about "nationality" probably came in.

Perhaps you were overly-sensitive to the questions asked or overly-suspicious as to the reason for them?

I noticed your inclusion of the fact that the questions were asked of you by someone of Cape Verde origin. Is this the real source of your irritation?

Whatever the case, I see no medical or healthcare malpractice in what you are describing.

Proserpina

Uncooperative? How could I get a Massachusetts licence without being an American citizen? This question was asked after that. These people are non assimilated residents. Why the city just formed a committee to address that problem. You cannot get any kind of Massachusetts ID without proving who you are and where you came from. Holograms are pretty hard to replicate btw. This isn't the first time these people have talked down to me as an American. This is how they behave. They detest Americans. Just to illustrate how I arrive at this notion, once I went to a temp agency(notorious are they for hiring illegals)and the receptionist again who was Cape Verdean asks me, "You're from Brockton? You don't sound like it". I'm sorry that you feel foreigners should treat Americans like dirt. If roles were reversed and I went to their country and acted so arrogantly and talked down to the natives I'd be murdered. I think I will take my flag and pole down to that clinic and stand on the sidewalk, standing on top of their country's flag.
You DO NOT need to be an American citizen to obtain (legally) a Massachusetts license.

I believe you've given us extremely compelling evidence of exactly why you may be having a hard time in certain circumstances.

ebaysucks

I'm sorry you have so many problems. The issue goes all the way to the White House and scofflaws in it and our other Federal Agencies that have decided enforcing immigration law is not a priority. I suggest you send an email on the White House web site outlining your constant problems due to his policies.
I emailed the governor with a reminder of his main obligation. National guard troops belong in Brockton. Anyone who has been here knows it's one of the worse cities in America(62nd ranked most violent city 2014 data out of about 1400 cities with populations of 25k or more).

ebaysucks

First, the questions you were asked probably have nothing to do with immigration, illegal aliens or insurance.

Hospitals and clinics are, and have been, collecting data for studies of disparity in health care. You were right in a way that the questions you were asked were a survey. The healthcare clinic you went to apparently treats a diverse population and the data collected from its patients is used, or will eventually be used, to help reduce disparate treatment between those of different races and ethnicities.

The questions asked include the language, race and ethnicity of the person. Previous studies showed that many patients have trouble differentiating between race and ethnicity. Those who are asking the questions may either likewise be confused or may need to ask additional questions when trying to gather the correct information. This is where the question about "nationality" probably came in.

Perhaps you were overly-sensitive to the questions asked or overly-suspicious as to the reason for them?

I noticed your inclusion of the fact that the questions were asked of you by someone of Cape Verde origin. Is this the real source of your irritation?

Whatever the case, I see no medical or healthcare malpractice in what you are describing.
My nationality was called into question. That alone is ridiculous. She just happened to be a CV as most call them but had she been Haitian I would have said Haitian. If she was Russian I would have said Russian. It just happens to be she was a CV and they more than any other group are being allowed to over run the city. Let's get one thing straight the prejudice continued in the waiting room. No one but me had to wait 3 hours. That's not an inconvenience as much as it is preposterous. I sat there patiently as well. You see I live here and see all the drug deals and all the people dying of heroin od's laced with fentanyl. To watch them on their lunch break was like a procession out of the twilight zone. No brown bag lunch or perhaps fast food bag or even a lunch box. No I watched 4 of them walk by me with aluminum pans the kind one would baste a chicken or small turkey in(14-15 inches by 10 or so)all packed to the top. Most of them did not see over weight. They were having a buffet at my expense. You're actually treated like a second class citizen by these people in public because they have absolutely no desire to assimilate. They're going to wig out when I start messing with their flag and raising the Stars & Stripe high above their loathy colors. They will be reminded who's country this is. I will go back to what i used to do and run patrols and chase off the drug dealers, film them, and call the police about 50 times a day. I know exactly where they like to do their deals. Oh they're violent to be sure. I'll be shot at. They better hope they don't miss(as oft they do). They want to mess with my well being I will go directly after their heroin trafficking. Good can come out of bad situations. It's high time people got a little more sensitive about such things. I'm a very good watch dog. Other will take up my lead.

ebaysucks

You DO NOT need to be an American citizen to obtain (legally) a Massachusetts license.

I believe you've given us extremely compelling evidence of exactly why you may be having a hard time in certain circumstances.
If that's the case you should. I assume you've never experienced foreign driver in MA or the drivers CV drug dealers create? The latter of which routinely crash into houses and gas trucks with their children in their car. I look forward to going after the dealers by running patrols, filming, and publishing my findings to encourage others to take up the fight. They need to start chipping if not tattooing these colonists. Al Qaeda has a strong hold in CV btw. Oh so nice to be an American. They better get used to some nationalism. It's coming.

quincy

My nationality was called into question. That alone is ridiculous. She just happened to be a CV as most call them but had she been Haitian I would have said Haitian. If she was Russian I would have said Russian. It just happens to be she was a CV and they more than any other group are being allowed to over run the city. Let's get one thing straight the prejudice continued in the waiting room. No one but me had to wait 3 hours. That's not an inconvenience as much as it is preposterous. I sat there patiently as well. You see I live here and see all the drug deals and all the people dying of heroin od's laced with fentanyl. To watch them on their lunch break was like a procession out of the twilight zone. No brown bag lunch or perhaps fast food bag or even a lunch box. No I watched 4 of them walk by me with aluminum pans the kind one would baste a chicken or small turkey in(14-15 inches by 10 or so)all packed to the top. Most of them did not see over weight. They were having a buffet at my expense. You're actually treated like a second class citizen by these people in public because they have absolutely no desire to assimilate. They're going to wig out when I start messing with their flag and raising the Stars & Stripe high above their loathy colors. They will be reminded who's country this is. I will go back to what i used to do and run patrols and chase off the drug dealers, film them, and call the police about 50 times a day. I know exactly where they like to do their deals. Oh they're violent to be sure. I'll be shot at. They better hope they don't miss(as oft they do). They want to mess with my well being I will go directly after their heroin trafficking. Good can come out of bad situations. It's high time people got a little more sensitive about such things. I'm a very good watch dog. Other will take up my lead.
I see no medical or health care malpractice in what you have written.

I am sorry you are upset with the state of your community, your state and the country, but a legal forum is not the proper place for your complaints. I am sure you can find some forum on the internet that is better suited to your needs.

Good luck.

Proserpina

If that's the case you should. I assume you've never experienced foreign driver in MA or the drivers CV drug dealers create? The latter of which routinely crash into houses and gas trucks with their children in their car. I look forward to going after the dealers by running patrols, filming, and publishing my findings to encourage others to take up the fight. They need to start chipping if not tattooing these colonists. Al Qaeda has a strong hold in CV btw. Oh so nice to be an American. They better get used to some nationalism. It's coming.

1. I'm not American. Just FYI.

2. You still don't need to be a US citizen in order to obtain a valid, legal driver's license anywhere in the US.

3. You need the kind of help we cannot provide here. Ask your PCP for a mental health referral.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I live in MA. I am a Canadian citizen. I have a valid, and legal, MA drivers license.

To answer the subject heading, No. It is not illegal in MA for a health care provider to ask nationality.

I hope that this is now clear to you. Have a nice day.

justalayman

So you went to a med clinic where the receptionist was apparently originally from Cabo Verde. You have also been to a temp employement agency where the receptionist was also originally from Cabo Verde.

How is it you know their nationality? Did you ask them? I surely hope not since it appears you consider a person asking your nationality to be the. 8th deadly sin and all.

So, how did you determine they were Cabo Verdean without asking? Do they have some mark on an earlobe or something that identifies them. Surely you don't believe you are so intuitive that not only can you determine a persons familial nationality but they themselves are also immigrants from that country, do you?

I think you have the hots for women from Cabo Verde but due to continual rejection you now have a vendetta against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">