• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate Gyno

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I understand what you are saying, ecmst12, and I don't entirely disagree with what you are saying. But perhaps I am seeing the reputational harm that comes from false accusations more clearly than you are.

Following is a link to the Department of Justice's Office on Violence Against Women, National Sexual Violence Resource Center, on false reporting (2012):

http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/Publications_NSVRC_Overview_False-Reporting.pdf

And here is a link to The National Center for the Prosecution of Violence Against Women, on false reporting (2009):

http://www.ndaa.org/pdf/the_voice_vol_3_no_1_2009.pdf

Make of these what you will.

I do not think that any accusation of any criminal act should go unchallenged. I do not think that those who accuse should be treated any differently than those who are accused - until the one accused is criminally charged and convicted based on the facts and the evidence.

There have been a few widely publicized cases recently where those convicted of sex crimes were not given by the judges the sentences that the crimes deserved. That in itself should be a crime. But, if victims are going to stop being victims, they need to empower themselves and accept that their accusations will be investigated thoroughly and that they will be questioned. This is what is necessary to preserve rights and reputations.

Last edited:

justalayman

Ecmst12;

Since you think I'm heartless and disconnected from what a woman can experience I'll say this;

I have a granddaughter that was molested at 6
My wife suffered serious and extended moleststion in her teen years
I have a daughter that was raped but it was totally discounted because she was drunk.

I am not ignoring anything here.

The problem with here is;

We have a statement. I didn't say op wasn't molested. I allowed op to decide for herself. Having known a woman that would not get undressed in a room with her husband present (a friend, not directly involving me) due to her upbringing, her attitude caused any touching to be questionable, even that of her husband. She was way beyond conservative when it came to sexual matters. I knew nothing of the op and her attitutdes on being touched at all. Some people do misconstrue things due to the attitutdes and upbringing.

I simply stated that if she didn't believe she was hypersensitive to what might be deemed actually expected activity she report it. How the hell is that mistreating the op?

Then, the reality of many sexual assaults is that the ensuing investigation can be more traumatic than the actual assault. Those that sit on a witness stand and recount the assault have my respect. I've been on a witness stand a few times. Unless you are a very bold person it is an intimidating experience, even when the issue involved isn't about you. Sittting there as a victim of a sexual assault has to be much worse. Of course we have all the investigation matters prior to that. It's not pretty. Investigators are doing a job. Most of them are a bit calloused to the personal feelings involved so the inquiries can come across very cold.

obviously in our legal system there is always the possibility the defendant is found not guilty. That can be devastating to the victim in itself.

There are many reasons a woman may be better off if a crime is not prosecuted. I'm glad I've never had to make the call personally. Some women are better off with psych treatment and the perpetrator not being prosecuted.

So, if you think I'm uncaring or disbelieving of the op; well, (to put this in a manner that won't get me banned); get lost. Your condemnations of me are exactly the same as what you accuse others of. You think simply that since i has male genitalia I can't understand anything about women being molested. You're wrong. You can ride on out on that horse you rode in on.

commentator

I hate to step into the midst of this, but I would like to point out that false accusations of sexual molestation by ob gyns are NOT a rare thing. Thence the nurse who is usually present at any time the physician is examining the patient directly and usually does NOT "have her back turned." I honestly think that having reported the perceived wrongdoing to the board, this OP needs to find another ob-gyn and move on. It does happen, may very well have happened, but as to taking it further with a lawsuit or something of this type is only going to make this experience more damaging than it has been.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
False accusations are exceedingly rare. So rare, we might as well not even talk about them. What's common is the majority of sexual crimes that go unreported, just like this one, because the victims are afraid of what they will be put through for coming forward. Rightly so, because we blame the victims in every way we possibly can. The way we treat the accused is only a problem in that they are given so much more respect than the victims. They claim their reputations are damaged, but in reality they see almost no punishment even when they are convicted.
Do you see what you've just done there?

( was it deliberate?)

quincy

I hate to step into the midst of this, but I would like to point out that false accusations of sexual molestation by ob gyns are NOT a rare thing. Thence the nurse who is usually present at any time the physician is examining the patient directly and usually does NOT "have her back turned." I honestly think that having reported the perceived wrongdoing to the board, this OP needs to find another ob-gyn and move on. It does happen, may very well have happened, but as to taking it further with a lawsuit or something of this type is only going to make this experience more damaging than it has been.
The primary reason doctors have someone else present in examining rooms when they are examining patients is to prevent false accusations. A nurse generally is not going to be present in the examining room and totally oblivious to what the doctor is doing.

From my review of cases filed against doctors, the majority of accusations made by patients against their doctors come when there is no one else in the room to either confirm or deny the patient's allegations.

Again, I think it is important for all patients to be vocal. If something does not feel right or seem right, the patient needs to speak up immediately. A doctor who has no ill-intent will not mind explaining what s/he is doing and why, and will not object to a patient's request to have someone else in the room during an exam.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">