• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inappropriate Psychologist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Haiku_

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

Hi, I'm not sure where I should be posting this but I felt this was an appropriate section.

On March 7th, 2010, I called my former Psychologist from my work because I wasn't sure what to do. I was in the
middle of having a severe anxiety attack at work and I wasnt sure who else to call. I say "former" Psychologist
because he was my Psych until he released me from his care, because he claimed he was not able to provide the proper care for my condition.
I called him because he was the only person who really knew about my extreme stress, anxiety and I figured he could help me.

When I called him he had asked me how I had got his number and I told him 411 had given me it. I explained to him
on the phone that I was freaking out at work and wasnt't sure what to do. He told me "You know I am not your
psychologist anymore" and I responded with "I know, but I didnt know who else to call". He agreed to see me that day
at 3pm; I was still at work at this time. I left work after talking to my manager and telling him I couldn't
work and he agreed to let me leave.

When I got to my Psychologist's office, I sat down and we talked about what was going on and what went on that day.
He explained that my condition was the result of me being really stressed out, my glands were "full of fluid", and that he could do some
sort of physical technique on me to push the fluid back into my body so I could breathe and wouldnt be so stressed.

While I was sitting on the couch in his office, he stood directly in front of me, his waist in front of my face, and began "massaging" (more like just pushing really hard) my neck, jaw, and below my ears. Then he told me he couldnt get to my back so he asked me to take off my shirt; I was wearing my work shirt at the time and had an undershirt
underneath.

I had thought to myself that this was a little awkward but then remembered that he was here to help me.. but I
still couldnt help but feel awkward.

He then noted something about my spine and how it bulged out a little bit, his reasoning was that it was because my
spine was not aligned and that the disks become unaligned and that they could be pushed back into their rightful
place.

He asked me lay face-down on the couch. He proceeded to simply push that bulge back into my neck.. this sort of hurt. I have been advised by a licensed Chiropractor that this is not safe or beneficial. He did this all along my back.. eventually lifting up the back of my shirt to the middle of my back, and then pulling the back of my pants down so he could get to my tailbone?

This was when it started to get really awkward but I just kept saying that he was supposed to be helping me..
He did this several times, and each time it just got even more and more weird.. he was pushing down on my butt and I felt this was really inapropriate. It eventually became too much, and I sat up, ending the "massage" session.

I feel my trust and body have been violated. I came to him for psychological counsel in my time of need, and he instead resorted to some sort of physical therapy, which he had never engaged in in the past. I did not sign anything giving him the right to put his hands on me, and certainly not move and remove articles of my clothing.

Are there any legal steps I may take to rectify this situation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Haiku_

Is that an actual response or just a troll job?

I'm looking for serious legal advice. I don't know why the police would be involved.

CJane

Is that an actual response or just a troll job?

I'm looking for serious legal advice. I don't know why the police would be involved.
Well, who would YOU prefer to involve? Are you simply seeking a lawsuit for cash? If so, you'll have to prove lasting damage, and it sure doesn't seem like a "massage" as you described could have caused any lasting damage.

And you DID consent to the removal of your clothing, because YOU removed your clothing!

So he touched your neck, jaw, below your ears, and then from the top of your spine to your tail bone.
He didn't expose himself or anything on you that a bathing suit would cover. And he did this to help you.
When you put an end to it, did he stop?

From the rest of your post, it sounds like he tried to steer you to someone that would be of more help to you, but when you called in need he tried to help you again. Shame on him!

Maybe it would be more appropriate for you to seek help from a female Psychologist instead of a male Psychologist so that you wouldn't feel that anxiety.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">