• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Detained/Malpractice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artist123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I was involuntary detained (TDO) for 4 days last month and I believe that it was malpractice. I voluntary admitted myself to a psychiatry hospitals eating disorder unit. About 2 weeks in that staff said that I should be transferred to the regular adult psychiatric unit due to concerns that I wasn't "remembering things correctly". I said no and requested to be discharged AMA. They said that due to concerns about my safety (I had previously been suicidal with a plan- but not that day) I had to be evaluated by a third party. The county crisis therapists came to the unit to evaluate me. I said I was not suicidal, I had no plan, and I was just going to go home and see my cats and go to sleep. The crisis therapist told me that he believed me but since the hospital had concerns that he was going to detain me if I didn't agree to go voluntarily. They told the crisis therapists that I said I was going to kill myself with my antidepressants and this never came out of my mouth and definetely not that day in question. I was on the phone with my parents to help me when they called a code for a psychiatric emergency and about 10 staff members come to the unit and tell me if I don't come with them they will carry me to the seclusion room on the general adult unit. I said how about you treat me like a human and just ask me to come to the other unit. They hung up the phone on my dad as I made the panicked call. As I was calmly walking over to the other unit I said can I please call my dad so he knows not to worry about me. The charge nurse laughed and said "no you are not going to be able to use the phone for a long time". I asked for his name because I wanted to complain about him and how he treated me and he refused to tell me until I told him it was my right to know who is treating me. I complained to the hospital about how he treated me like an animal and I got no new from them or empathy. Now I get the bill in the mail. How can they charge me for something that I had no say in. How can they detain me if I deny the presence of suicidal thoughts plan, intent??? This whole situation has been very tramuatizing. I am a nurse and I know how people should be treated but due to having a "psychiatric problem" they think they can get away with it because they know that we won't be believed or taken seriously. Do I have any case or anything I can do to improve the treatment the next person gets??????

ecmst12

Once you're admitted to a psychiatric facility, voluntary or not, you won't be discharged until the MD staff believe it's safe to do so - not necessarily based on the words coming out of your mouth. If they discharge you and you go home and kill yourself, that's a mountain of paperwork (at a minimum) for them. And they know that you know all the right words to say if you want to get out. So they're not going to discharge you until they're satisfied that you're stable and safe in their professional opinion based on the total assessment, not just your verbal reports.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">