• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Involuntary Psychiatric Hospitalization - Pennsylvania Mental Health Procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cai24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I don't know where this question belongs. It isn't a malpractice issue, but it relates to patient rights within a psychiatric hospital.

I was voluntarily hospitalized under Section 201 for severe depression. While at the hospital, I refused medication. I had taken SSRIs and other antidepressants in the past, and they provided no noticeable benefits. The psychiatrist was persistent, even though I explained that I was stable and not in need of drug therapy. Shortly thereafter, the hospital filed a petition under Section 304c to have me involuntarily committed. I was never notified that this action was taken and found out on the day of the court hearing. I also never received a copy of the petition, which I thought was mandatory. On the paperwork itself, there is a spot for a hospital representative to sign, where he or she certifies that the patient's rights were explained. Whoever signed this document is clearly lying, because to this day, I still have not seen a copy of the 304 (and never had anyone talk to me about my rights).

After the petition was granted, I was injected involuntarily with antipsychotic medication. I do not have bipolar disorder or schizophrenia and was not unruly in any way. The staff came into my room, held me down, and injected me with a syringe. Even my own Psychiatrist could not understand why they would be giving me a neuroleptic drug. My understanding is that there is supposed to be an independent examination by a second doctor before an injection can be given. This never occurred, and I was not even informed by the doctor that I would be getting an antipsychotic. The following day, I had an EPS/dystonic reaction to the medication and had to be given two shots of Benadryl to relieve the muscle contractions.

Did they (the hospital/doctor) violate the Pennsylvania Mental Health Procedures? Do I have any recourse? Could I file a complaint with the the PA Department of Welfare? I feel like they disregarded patient rights, and I'd like to make sure that they don't do this in the future.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I don't know where this question belongs. It isn't a malpractice issue, but it relates to patient rights within a psychiatric hospital.

I was voluntarily hospitalized under Section 201 for severe depression. While at the hospital, I refused medication. I had taken SSRIs and other antidepressants in the past, and they provided no noticeable benefits. The psychiatrist was persistent, even though I explained that I was stable and not in need of drug therapy. Shortly thereafter, the hospital filed a petition under Section 304c to have me involuntarily committed. I was never notified that this action was taken and found out on the day of the court hearing. I also never received a copy of the petition, which I thought was mandatory. On the paperwork itself, there is a spot for a hospital representative to sign, where he or she certifies that the patient's rights were explained. Whoever signed this document is clearly lying, because to this day, I still have not seen a copy of the 304 (and never had anyone talk to me about my rights).

After the petition was granted, I was injected involuntarily with antipsychotic medication. I do not have bipolar disorder or schizophrenia and was not unruly in any way. The staff came into my room, held me down, and injected me with a syringe. Even my own Psychiatrist could not understand why they would be giving me a neuroleptic drug. My understanding is that there is supposed to be an independent examination by a second doctor before an injection can be given. This never occurred, and I was not even informed by the doctor that I would be getting an antipsychotic. The following day, I had an EPS/dystonic reaction to the medication and had to be given two shots of Benadryl to relieve the muscle contractions.

Did they (the hospital/doctor) violate the Pennsylvania Mental Health Procedures? Do I have any recourse? Could I file a complaint with the the PA Department of Welfare? I feel like they disregarded patient rights, and I'd like to make sure that they don't do this in the future.
I really think that this one is beyond the scope of an internet message forum. I think it would be in your best interest to consult with a local medical malpractise attorney...and maybe even a civil rights attorney as well.

xylene

What did you want from being hospitalized?

I'm going to tell you something that is true.

ECT is safe and effective.

I wish you only the best in your recovery from depression and the trauma of being hospitalized

cai24

Here's the applicable PA law: http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/055/chapter5100/chap5100toc.html

You can be changed from a voluntary to an involuntary patient. I suppose there's more to the story than you've told, which is entirely your choice. Regardless, there's the applicable law.
I'm not disputing the fact that you can be changed from voluntary to involuntary status. If you read my post, you would have seen my grievance. I was not given notification that they filed a petition to have me committed involuntarily. They are required to give notice to patients. It's similar to a civil lawsuit, I imagine. If you sue someone, you have to show proof of service (ie. proof that the defendant has been served with a copy of the complaint).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">