• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kidney malfunction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raven12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I donated a kidney a few years back and was told I had no restrictions or special instructions to follow. I was diagnosed last year with chronic kidney disease. I was told my my kidney doctor that I should have been told to stay away from pain medications because they are toxic to the kidney. Do I have any legal rights to sue? This disease is incurable and leads to dialysis, transplant and even death

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I donated a kidney a few years back and was told I had no restrictions or special instructions to follow. I was diagnosed last year with chronic kidney disease. I was told my my kidney doctor that I should have been told to stay away from pain medications because they are toxic to the kidney. Do I have any legal rights to sue? This disease is incurable and leads to dialysis, transplant and even death

Assuming you have been taking certain medications, did you ever read the package inserts?

ecmst12

How much pain medication have you been taking? Do you have any other risk factors for kidney disease? Have you been told with certainty that the ONLY reason you have kidney disease is because of the medication you have taken?

raven12

I was taking them a lot because i was having frequent headaches and neck pains. I have high blood pressure and am over weight which all happened after the transplant.

Hot Topic

I was taking them a lot because i was having frequent headaches and neck pains. I have high blood pressure and am over weight which all happened after the transplant.

Do you have proof that having high blood pressure and being overweight are the result of the transplant?

justalayman

Do you have proof that having high blood pressure and being overweight are the result of the transplant?
of course not.

OP:

your statement of " a lot" suggests that you are likely taking more than the recommended dosage or you have been taking them over a prolonged period of time. both would be in contrast to the dosage listings on the packaging. Because of that, your condition is of your own doing. The doctor is not liable for your condition either for the actual condition or for not telling you not to OD on painkillers.

Last edited:
Assuming you have been taking certain medications, did you ever read the package inserts?
From my reading .. it looks like the OP is not making a concrete connection (or facts that would lead to that conclusion) between meds & kidney damage .. but it may be something to examine.

Luckily, kidneys are the easiest transplant and most common. And dialysis? Some people get to the point where they just stop doing it and prefer death.

99.99% of folks dont even know what a package insert is .. so I doubt it.

If the OP wishes to list the drugs he should do so...if he knows.

Continual use of Tylenol can affect the kidneys I believe -- off the top of my head. I never take it .. just old fashion aspirin when I get a headache ...

Gail in Georgia

The health risk from excessive Tylenol (acetaminophen) intake is liver damage.

While OTC pain medication can have a damaging effect on the kidneys, one needs to take a considerable amount over a fairly long period of time, even with only one kidney. Millions of folks take OTC pain meds regularly with absolutely no risk to kidney function.

Gail

barry1817

kidney transplant

I am just surprised that with the surgery monitoring of your condition wasn't more vigilant.

ecmst12

After the patient has recovered, monitoring wouldn't be needed, he did not RECEIVE a transplant, he DONATED. Function with one kidney is pretty much the same as with 2.

After the patient has recovered, monitoring wouldn't be needed, he did not RECEIVE a transplant, he DONATED. Function with one kidney is pretty much the same as with 2.
and there is a possibility that both kidneys would have been affected by the factors that caused his remaining kidney to go south.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">