• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lack of information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peachtree00

I am a Rhode Island resident.

I recently had a CT scan with IV contrast performed at the ER. I went to the ER due to left side flank pain. The doctor said she wanted to perform a CT to check for bowel inflammation. I drank liquid contrast, then was taken to the CT room. It was when I got there that I realized I would also be receiving IV contrast. I asked the tech performing the procedure why I would need the IV. He stated it was because there was only a little of the contrast agent in the drink. I was hesitant, but I figured the doctor had a good reason for ordering it as such.
I signed a waiver stating that I could have a severe reaction to the contrast, but that my doctor had weighed the pros and cons. The tech inserted the IV and performed the test. He didn't tell me what to expect, just inserted the line and left the room to start scanning me. After it was done, he just told me that transport would be there to bring me back soon.
Once I was brought back to the room, the doctor came in and said everything came out fine. I was discharged and went home. It was late at night, and I was tired, so I went right to bed. I got up ten hours later, and tried to drink little coffee. I then drank some water a little while afterwards. As the day progressed, I started to feel very ill. Mu lower back hurt and I was breaking out in rashes. I went to bed early, hoping I would feel better the next day. That was not the case. I woke up feeling worse, with bruises all over my legs, complete loss of appetite, and a metallic taste in my mouth. I went back later that evening to where I had the procedure done, explaining all of my symptoms, telling them that I believe the contrast agent is causing a severe reaction. They just gave me Benadryl, and sent me on my way without even examining me. I went online to research what they had injected into me, and realized that they are supposed to inform you to drink plenty of fluids after administering the contrast. No one told me this, and this information was not included in the aftercare instructions that they gave me.
When I finally got in with a primary care physician, he acknowledged that they should have made sure to inform me of this. Even a friend of mine, who is an ER nurse at another hospital, said that they always flush the patients out because the contrast is "pretty toxic stuff".
Now I am experiencing major problems with my circulation, with Raynaud's symptoms, faulty vein valves in my legs causing blood to pool in my feet when I stand, spider and varicose veins on my wrists, feet, and legs. I am a 30-year-old female, and I came out of this worse than when I started. I am now getting referred to a Neurologist for my problems.
The night I received the IV contrast no one- not the CT tech, the doctor, or the nurse- informed me that I was supposed to flush with fluids. When I went back a day and a half later, I was dismissed and just given Benadryl, without them taking my concerns seriously. Since then, my physical condition has degraded, to where I have to continuously elevate my feet due to the blood pooling.
This could have been avoided if I were given the correct aftercare instructions, or if they properly addressed my concerns on the second visit.
So is the hospital or x ray company responsible for withholding such crucial information from me? I have plenty of documentation to correlate my facts. I want to make sure this kind of thing never happens again.

quincy

I am a Rhode Island resident.
... This could have been avoided if I were given the correct aftercare instructions, or if they properly addressed my concerns on the second visit.
So is the hospital or x ray company responsible for withholding such crucial information from me? I have plenty of documentation to correlate my facts. I want to make sure this kind of thing never happens again.
You should go over all facts with an attorney in your area. If you were not informed of the pros and cons of the procedure prior to signing the waiver, detailing the possible reactions you could experience, and if you were not provided with aftercare instructions that addressed how best to avoid the reactions, that appears to be a failure on the part of those treating you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

peachtree00

You should go over all facts with an attorney in your area. If you were not informed of the pros and cons of the procedure prior to signing the waiver, detailing the possible reactions you could experience, and if you were not provided with aftercare instructions that addressed how best to avoid the reactions, that appears to be a failure on the part of those treating you.

Good luck.
Thank you for your honest advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">