• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laparoscopy that punctured colon & intestines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

traumatized

What is the name of your state? California

I had a gynecologic laparoscopy. My doctor said I would experience pain after and prescribed me Vicodin. It was an out-patient surgery and was just prescribed Vicodin for the pain. 2 days later I went to the emergency room because of pain in my lower abdomen and constant vomitting. After numerous tests (x-rays, cat-scan, ultrasound) the initial diagnosis was intra-abdominal abscess. After the surgery (laparotomy), the diagnosis was colon and small intestine perforations with generalizing peritonitis. I stayed in the ICU for 10 days because I had to have 4 more surgeries to remove the pus from my abdominal cavity as I had massive infection. The perforations were caused by the laparoscopy. The doctor that treated me for the perforations is different from the doctors that did the laparoscopy. It was done in different hospitals also.

I called up a malpractice lawyer who said he did not know if I had a malpractice case or not but said that it would not be worth their time to pursue this case as the costs are high.

My question is, do I have a case and if I do, from the previous lawyer's comment, is it worth it to pursue? The doctor that did the laparoscopy even sent me a letter stating further treatment for my gynecologic issue as if nothing happened. He was calling the hospital everyday that I was confined.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

rmet4nzkx

Well you obviously gave the malpractice attorney more specific information than you gave us, you might call other malpractice attorneys for their take. There is a risk to all surgery, one of those risks is accidental nicks or infection. You signed what is called informed consent. When you had symptoms beyond what you were told to expect you went to the ER and were diagnosed and treated. It might be very difficult to prove this was beyond the risk associated with the surgery. Even if you have a valid case, one that will be cost effective to fight is another animal. You can, without cost file a complaint with the medical board. You may seek care elsewhere.

traumatized

Thanks for your reply.

Actually I told the lawyer the same thing I wrote but all he asked me was what my problem was. After asking me a couple of times realizing I couldn't understand what he wanted me to say, he said "do you have a colostomy bag?" when I said I was recovering from the laparotomy to close the punctures, that's when he said that he is not sure if I have a malpractice case or not and that it was not worth their firm's time.

The thing is, the doctor never informed us (my husband was with me during the pre-op appointment) that there were complications. All he said was that it was a very simple procedure and that general anaesthesia was only needed because of the discomfort of the gas being introduced in the stomach. I did not sign any paperwork with the doctor's office during the pre-op appointment. It was during the surgery that the hospital made me sign their paperwork (that as the hospital's tho). The doctor does not hold office there.

abaga

I've had the laparoscopy you mentioned (GYN), and perforation is a risk associated with the procedure.

ellencee

traumatized
You didn't talk to the right attorney. Find one who knows that 10 days in ICU equals $100,000 or more and with 5 additional surgeries, the total bill is more like-what?--$250,000?

Although perforation is a risk, it is also a known reason to be careful and to avoid closing the patient without making sure the abdomen is "clean" and "clear".

Keep contacting attorneys until you find one that understands the whole picture.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">