• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this malpractice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anniequinn

I'm 19, female., independent. Turned to psychiatric help because I felt alone and desperate. My doctor has had me prescribed on ativan for 8 months and I ran out on Thursday from where I've been taking 1-2 mg instead of .5-1 mg (I was put on Wellbutrin to help with focus that I had lost because of the anxiety meds, and it gave me what I'd call mania where I felt "completely better" and thought I could start right where I left off and enrolled in school and got a full time job, the anxiety and pressure became too much.) When I talked to my doctor on the phone she did not care, even as I spoke about the withdrawal symptoms scaring me. At one point I was so overwhelmed by the anxiety and her apathy that I was crying over the phone, but she hung up anyway. I've been miserable and withdrawing the last couple days. I called off work for Friday. Now that I've only just done research (shouldn't just trust your doc, I now know) I'm upset that this is a medication generally used short term, usually 4 months at the most. That's what happens when you trust a professional who doesn't actually care about your over all well being, just wants you to show up every month with some money. I'm 19, I shouldn't be experiencing cold sweats and pain from what is a pill addiction by definition. I regret turning to these people during a time where I was desperate for help. My plan right now is to ride it out and be done with it, so long as my symptoms aren't ER worthy. But honestly I'm scared of having to go to a hospital over this, I feel like if my own doctor doesn't care about the situation then it's just life and it's only a problem in my head. I've felt slightly abandoned the last couple days. Is this malpractice? Or is it a hopeless case and I'm to just find a new doctor? Thanks for any advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">