• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Collections After 5 Years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

what about them?

If you had more typed and it didn't show up, do not preview your post before posting it. From what I have been reading, that seems to cause you to lose your post sometimes.

tree0101

what about them?

If you had more typed and it didn't show up, do not preview your post before posting it. From what I have been reading, that seems to cause you to lose your post sometimes.
That seems to be what happened.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

In 2007, I went to the ER after I fell over at work (was taken by ambulance). I was told that I had some form of food poisoning. I can't be sure without the records, but a nurse told me it was botulism. In any event, I was covered under Tricare. In the end, the ambulance company was filed a claim and was paid. The doctors and the hospital were not paid, because they misfiled the insurance claim (wrong social security number, which is used as the ID number for the policy). I contacted the hospital 3 times to correct this and almost everyone was paid by Tricare. The only group that was not was some company that, I suppose, one of the doctors was operating under. That group was never paid, because they were unable to provide the correct insurance information to Tricare for over a year.

Please note, that several months had passed between my contact with the hospital to verify insurance payment. To me, there was only the EMTs and the hospital. There ended up being four or five different entities that were billing my insurance company. Only one of them was unable to file the information correctly. After a year Tricare flat out denied any claim due to the length of elapsed time. I appealed this decision and was denied.

As I was attempting to resolve this through the insurance that I paid for, the doctor sent me to collections. It is for about $500 that I don't feel I ethically owe, due to my insurance coverage. It has now been just over 5 years, and the collections company just sent me an itemized bill. I believe that this has passed the statute of limitations for this type of account. I have negative reports on my credit; however, it affects me or my credit score little. It should be removed in another 2 years anyway.

What course of action should I take?

ecmst12

If the doctor was contracted with Tricare, they can't bill you for this. If they were not contracted, they can bill you and you should make payment arrangements.

mmmagique

Is this not past Oklahoma's statute of limitations for written contracts (five years)? If so, I'd tell them to pound sand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">