• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Malpractice Compensation Limits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Doganr

I live in the state of Maryland and I was trying to find out what are the award limits for medical malpractice suits?

Adam G

Only "non-economic damages" are capped. That's what pain and suffering falls under. Google tells me that the limit is in the neighborhood of $1 million, but it can be more if it's a death case under certain circumstances.

For what it's worth, that dollar figure is totally arbitrary and is set by the insurance lobby then rubber stamped by the conservatives in the legislature.

arsenic

Only "non-economic damages" are capped. That's what pain and suffering falls under. Google tells me that the limit is in the neighborhood of $1 million, but it can be more if it's a death case under certain circumstances.

For what it's worth, that dollar figure is totally arbitrary and is set by the insurance lobby then rubber stamped by the conservatives in the legislature.

Well then that's what the limit is. But, the economic and medical-care damages can be much higher. If the injured party is a 30 year old neurosurgery resident totally incapacitated and also will require home care for the rest of his life, the award may be in the tens of millions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">