• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Mistakes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I don't know the specific answer to your question. For professional reasons, I read in many areas that surround things having to do with complex legal issues and have some experience in claims against estates in regards to contractual issues in a way that is often litigated as it will be the last possible chance to collect.

Morality aside, I think any agreement for payment for such information would be void as against public policy. That means that if there was a disagreement, you would have no legal avenue to force payment. So, I guess that is your calculation. If you actually have enough knowledge to know something that could lead to a conclusion of "medical mistake" you have the risk of losing whatever license you have as well as being fired against the benefit of being paid by whatever your plan was even though the other party would not have a legal duty to do so.

TigerD

I'm in the medical field. This is a strange (and morally-questionable) question, but here goes:

If it comes to my attention that a medical mistakehas occurred which caused significant morbidity (or mortality) and it is highly unlikely that the patient will ever find out is there some kind of "finder's fee" for getting a major case for a law firm? Alerting the firm directly would be a HIPAA violation obviously but perhaps contacting the family and telling them to visit so-and-so lawyer to discuss their case and mention I sent them? Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems like there could be a mutually beneficial arrangement for both the law firm and said despicable medical professional. Also, it will be assumed that the medical professional received the information in a way that did not violate HIPAA.
Have you considered your legal (both civil and criminal) liability for with holding that information from the doctor and family?
Yes, your question is morally reprehensible and legally questionable.

No, you are not worth attempting to provide an answer. And my superiority was established when you hit submit on this thread. You are a mole on the face of humanity. Good day.

TD

Just Blue

Have you considered your legal (both civil and criminal) liability for with holding that information from the doctor and family?
Yes, your question is morally reprehensible and legally questionable.

No, you are not worth attempting to provide an answer. And my superiority was established when you hit submit on this thread. You are a mole on the face of humanity. Good day.

TD
I LOVE this post!!! And LOVE it again!!:cool:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
is there some kind of "finder's fee" for getting a major case for a law firm?

No. Nein. Nyet. Non. Nada. Zip.

This post wins the prize for most repugnant, unethical and immoral poster of the week.

Crenshaw

is there some kind of "finder's fee" for getting a major case for a law firm?

No. Nein. Nyet. Non. Nada. Zip.

This post wins the prize for most repugnant, unethical and immoral poster of the week.
I will remember how immoral I am tomorrow morning when I get up at 5:45 to get to the hospital to see patients as I do everyday. You must be a beacon of morality since you are a lawyer who answer questions online. Goodnight.

Just Blue

I will remember how immoral I am tomorrow morning when I get up at 5:45 to get to the hospital to see patients as I do everyday. You must be a beacon of morality since you are a lawyer who answer questions online. Goodnight.
Oy! Read the TOS. :rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, to start with, I'm not a lawyer. For another thing, hard as I try I can't come up with anything immoral about providing general legal information in an online setting. For still another, I get up just as early - what's your point? Finally, I don't care how many patients you care for, looking for financial gain before you report a harmful situation is reprehensible.

Silverplum

You admitted you are "terrible." Why argue with those who agree with you?

(I'm not an attorney or law student, either. Go figure.)

Proserpina

Hon, don't do that. You've just told us that you want to do something you KNOW is unethical and morally repugnant. Don't start back-tracking your way into sainthood just yet, eh? It doesn't quite work like that.

And seriously, if you are upfront about your intentions (which admittedly is rarer than unicorn farts here), at least stick to your convictions. Y'know?

Fwiw, what I do saves marriages and lives.

(Anyone else want to list their resumes just for fun?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">