• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Mistakes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crenshaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

I'm in the medical field. This is a strange (and morally-questionable) question, but here goes:

If it comes to my attention that a medical mistake has occurred which caused significant morbidity (or mortality) and it is highly unlikely that the patient will ever find out is there some kind of "finder's fee" for getting a major case for a law firm? Alerting the firm directly would be a HIPAA violation obviously but perhaps contacting the family and telling them to visit so-and-so lawyer to discuss their case and mention I sent them? Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems like there could be a mutually beneficial arrangement for both the law firm and said despicable medical professional. Also, it will be assumed that the medical professional received the information in a way that did not violate HIPAA.

Helpful answers only please. I know I'm terrible. No need to tell me.

Proserpina

I'm in the medical field. This is a strange (and morally-questionable) question, but here goes:

If it comes to my attention that a medical mistake has occurred which caused significant morbidity (or mortality) and it is highly unlikely that the patient will ever find out is there some kind of "finder's fee" for getting a major case for a law firm? Alerting the firm directly would be a HIPAA violation obviously but perhaps contacting the family and telling them to visit so-and-so lawyer to discuss their case and mention I sent them? Has anyone ever heard of this? Seems like there could be a mutually beneficial arrangement for both the law firm and said despicable medical professional. Also, it will be assumed that the medical professional received the information in a way that did not violate HIPAA.

Give me your full name please, since I need to inform somebody in New Hampshire just who they have working in their "medical field".

Thanks so much.

Silverplum

Don't tell me/us how I/we may respond to you.

*spit*

Crenshaw

Give me your full name please, since I need to inform somebody in New Hampshire just who they have working in their "medical field".

Thanks so much.
Your moral superiority is impressive. That being said the outcome from the situation I outlined above is a family who was harmed gets informed and reimbursed for damages so I don't think it is 100% morally repugnant as you seem to think. Not much/any difference from an ambulance chasing lawyer. Both people are profiting from tragedy.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your moral superiority is impressive. That being said the outcome from the situation I outlined above is a family who was harmed gets informed and reimbursed for damages so I don't think it is 100% morally repugnant as you seem to think. Not much/any difference from an ambulance chasing lawyer. Both people are profiting from tragedy.
You've already made up your mind...so long as you get paid, you'll help someone.

Just Blue

You are asking the members of this site to assist you in your Medial and Moral impropriety. We don't do that Creepshow. ;)

Silverplum

Your moral inferiority is repugnant.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Jesus, what an overreaction. You guys give advice to molesters, thieves, and other criminals on this site.

If anyone actually wants to answer I'd appreciate it.
I would suggest that you talk to an attorney...you know, one that you pay. I hear there are some ambulance chasers out there with some free time...

Just Blue

Jesus, what an overreaction. You guys give advice to molesters, thieves, and other criminals on this site.

If anyone actually wants to answer I'd appreciate it.
No. We actually CHOOSE to advise those whom we wish to. ;) Hence the term "volunteer". ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">