• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mental health facility won't release records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GratedTopping

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In the facility I have been attending at times, I was told that the records wouldn't be released to me because it was contraindicated. However, before I even asked, the director of the program told me that they could still be released to my mother or another close relative. After I did the correct procedure in August 2005, the facility changed its mind and refused to release to my mother. I had to then appoint my attorney at the 'legally authorized representative', which my mother previously was. Since I am on Social Security Disability, this was very annoying. Eventually, their attorney agreed to accept an agreement which would release the facility from liability. I signed this in the middle of November 2005 -- and whomever was supposed to sign on behalf of the facility still hasn't and their attorney is ignoring multiple calls from my attorney. He told me the next step would be for him to file in court to compel them to comply; this would be around $1000.

I have left the place on February 9th. I had actually been informed months ago that, upon discharge, they would still not want to release the information to me. Medicaid had an investigation into the matter a couple months ago; they concluded that the center was correct in their decision although the records showed that they 'backtracked'. In a letter sent to me, they stated
NJAC 10:37-6.79(4ii) [Division of Mental Health Services/Community Mental Health Services Regulations]. This mentions 'A client currently receiving services from an agency is entitled to inspect and/or receive a copy of his/her own clinical records unless the client's treating clinician certifies to the director of the agency that such would be seriously harmful to the client's treatment or health.' I continues to mention that reasons for the denial are to be explaind to the client -- and this was denied to me; even the reason, apparently, is supposedly detrimental. They advise me to focus more on my treatment and not on how they 'run the place'.

After I obtained a copy of the law given, I read further at NJAC 10:37-6.79
(4ii) that 'A client who formerly received services from an agency is entitled to inspect and/or receive a copy of his or her records.'

When my attorney requested the records, NJAC 8:43f-3.23(d) was mentioned which stated that if release is contraindicated, records are to be released to a legally authorize representative.

I have been discharged on the 9th of February, with their recommendation that I am not a danger to myself or anyone else; they feel I would do best with one-on-one; and no group therapy.

I'm not interested in money; I only want the records and have this behind me. Now that I am no longer a patient, shouldn't they definitly comply? I want to know what others think, especially about how they haven't complied within 30 days to release the records to my attorney.What is the name of your state?

rmet4nzkx

By law psychological and psychiatric records are not given to patients or their families, this is different than medical records. A report may be provided it is up to the provider. The best was to access the records is to have your current provider request the resords then they can review them with you based on your ability to comprehend them.

Heather2

rmet4nzkx said:
By law psychological and psychiatric records are not given to patients or their families, this is different than medical records. A report may be provided it is up to the provider. The best was to access the records is to have your current provider request the resords then they can review them with you based on your ability to comprehend them.
Sorry to hijack but can I request copies from social security if I want my mental health records?

GratedTopping

I still don't think that's accurate, since NJAC 10:37-6.79 (4iv), concerning the division of mental health services, 'A client [in a community mental health facility] who formerly received services from an agency is entitled to inspect and/or receive a copy of his or her records.' is quite-clear. This deals with state-operated facilities.

Their attorney, in a letter to mine, states that 'Let me say again that
my client is not trying to prevent the records from being released to your client. They only want to be sure that that they will not be held liable.'

And the director of the program who was a nurse told me that my mother could have them but, once released, they wouldn't be protected. The assistant director said that she couldn't understand why I was getting so much trouble.

I recently obtained other mental health records from a different facility by signing their own release of liability form just a few days after mentioning that I wanted them, so it is possible. I also obtained items from yet another place a few years ago with no trouble; it is just this facility trying to 'protect' me. But, since I'm gone, this shouldn't be this difficult. My attorney said that he has had similar cases and this doesn't happen that often; but some places are stubborn & I had done more than anybody should be expected to do.

Anyway, it seems quite wrong that they hadn't been released to my attorney.

rmet4nzkx

Heather2 said:
Sorry to hijack but can I request copies from social security if I want my mental health records?
NO you will have to have your provider request them, SSA will send a copy to them or allow them to come into the office to review it, it can take a while once the records are sent to storage.,,it will be easier to ask your provider to show them to you.

rmet4nzkx

GratedTopping said:
I still don't think that's accurate, since NJAC 10:37-6.79 (4iv), concerning the division of mental health services, 'A client [in a community mental health facility] who formerly received services from an agency is entitled to inspect and/or receive a copy of his or her records.' is quite-clear. This deals with state-operated facilities.

Their attorney, in a letter to mine, states that 'Let me say again that
my client is not trying to prevent the records from being released to your client. They only want to be sure that that they will not be held liable.'

And the director of the program who was a nurse told me that my mother could have them but, once released, they wouldn't be protected. The assistant director said that she couldn't understand why I was getting so much trouble.

I recently obtained other mental health records from a different facility by signing their own release of liability form just a few days after mentioning that I wanted them, so it is possible. I also obtained items from yet another place a few years ago with no trouble; it is just this facility trying to 'protect' me. But, since I'm gone, this shouldn't be this difficult. My attorney said that he has had similar cases and this doesn't happen that often; but some places are stubborn & I had done more than anybody should be expected to do.

Anyway, it seems quite wrong that they hadn't been released to my attorney.
It is up to the provider as to what they release, records or a report, it is rare to release directly to a patient. I can see why they would be reluctant to release to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">