• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor child treated without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rat454vette

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? i live in maryland. my question is i have a 17 year old minor child that was involved in an auto accident 130 miles from home. she was transported by ambulance to the hospital treated and released 130 miles from home without any notification or consent from us her parents. is it legal to do that and to release a minor out on the street without anywhere to go so far from home

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Wasn't her incident in March a wake-up call? :confused:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/my-17yr-daughter-got-speeding-ticket-maryland-457672.html

Isis1

hmm....

Hope to get her off how? What would be the defense? :confused:

I strongly suggest that you have her reimburse you the "small fortune" it's going to cost you. Letting kids get off scott-free doesn't bode well for future behavior. I'm just sayin'.

i guess not.

lady, are you upset your daughter was treated in an emergency situation? or that princess didn't have a ride home at an inconvienent location and time?

yes, they are legally required to treat her to make her stable. no they are not responsible for providing limo for your daughter not having an accident right in front of her home.

Next time, daughter should sit next to the wreckage and state " I am 17 and my mom wont want me treated until she approves it". She should sit there bleeding and maybe with broken bones until mom is contacted!! Works for me.

summerpoem

I've got to disagree with the replies you've received. I'm an RN, current charge nurse on a locked, in-patient psychiatric unit in a large city. However, I used to work as an ER nurse for ten years.

It is illegal to treat minors without parental consent EXCEPT in a genuine emergency. Life-threatening illness will take precedence (as it should) over parental consent.

However, minors with lacerations needing sutures, or minimal assessment just waited in the ER until the parents could come. An exception was if an adult was with the minor who had a notarized consent from the parent to sign for treatment. That happened occasionally when gr/parents had the kids during a trip by the parents.

As for letting your 17 y/o d/d out into the night without a ride, we would never do that! If no other option was available, we all chipped in for cab fare to get ANY person (not just a minor) home safely. We didn't think it was a big deal either. We just couldn't in good conscience put anyone out on the street alone at night...

lealea1005

It is illegal to treat minors without parental consent EXCEPT in a genuine emergency. Life-threatening illness will take precedence (as it should) over parental consent.

However, minors with lacerations needing sutures, or minimal assessment just waited in the ER until the parents could come. An exception was if an adult was with the minor who had a notarized consent from the parent to sign for treatment. That happened occasionally when gr/parents had the kids during a trip by the parents.

A person on any age presenting in the ER post MVA, or any other significant trauma, WILL be treated as an emergency. They need to be assessed for internal bleeding/injuries (not a "minimal" asssessment). If, after the physical exam, the injuries are not believed to be life threatening, their parents will be contacted for verbal consent to treat any lacertions or minor injuries. However, if the Physician assessing the patients feels emergent treatment or diagnostic testing is necessary, no consent is needed.

mommyof4

As for letting your 17 y/o d/d out into the night without a ride, we would never do that! If no other option was available, we all chipped in for cab fare to get ANY person (not just a minor) home safely. We didn't think it was a big deal either. We just couldn't in good conscience put anyone out on the street alone at night...
What you and your co-workers do is not legal advice, hence...irrelevant.

The rest of your post has already been addressed.

ecmst12

Isn't the age of consent for medical treatment 16 in many states anyway? I didn't find anything completely definitive for MD other then a minor can consent for MENTAL health treatment at 16. But seriously, you would rather they have let your kid bleed out until they could talk to you?

lealea1005

Isn't the age of consent for medical treatment 16 in many states anyway? I didn't find anything completely definitive for MD other then a minor can consent for MENTAL health treatment at 16. But seriously, you would rather they have let your kid bleed out until they could talk to you?

Well, then she'd be first in line to sue because her child was not treated for on an emergent basis. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">