• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Miscarriage Not sure what to think???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WickedChick

What is the name of your state? New York
On July 25, 2007 I found out I was about 10 weeks pregnant through the health clinic. I did blood work and made a date to go to the doctor on August 28th (She didn't have any earlier appointments.) On August 22st after eating dinner I saw some red blood spotting which got me worried and I went to the Hospital Emergency room. (NO pain). Upon arrival at the emergency room they took me in right away but had me wait in a room for about 30 minutes before finally my mother complained and had someone come in and examine me. The on call doctor told me I was probably having a spontaneous abortion before examining me. I told her I wasnt having any pain and she cant make that decision without me getting a proper exam done... Finally a nurse came in and did a blood test. I waited around for about an hour without being told what is going on. My mother complained that we were there for almost 2 hours and no one even tried to examine me. They stated they were waiting for the blood results to come back.. Upon receiving the blood results, they looked normal. That doctor then did a physical examination, which was hurting me and I asked her to stop because she was causing me excruciating paind and the Doctor stated my Cervix was slightly open. They then did a sonogram that showed the baby was about 11 weeks and was viable and had a good heartbeat. They did find a small hematoma near the placenta. I was then seen by another doctor and he told me that everything looks good. I asked him why the other doctor said my cervix was slightly open. He said there was no way for it to be slightly open either its open or closed. He then told me to follow up with my regular doctor. None of these doctors were ob/gyn. I was then dicharged. I had some minor brownish blood the next couple of days but was told this would be normal and the clot was healing. On the 28th I followed up with the nurse practioner at the clinic and she said everything looks ok and I should take it easy but my sonogram looks normal and my blood test all came back fine and the brown discharge appeared to be normal and the clot was disolving. On Sept 2, I woke up in the middle of the night with red blood again, went to the Emergency room again and was brought upstairs to the Maternity section, I was seen by a ob/gyn who told me that i had placenta previa and the spotting was from that. They took blood test, sonogram and physical examination everything showed the baby was viable and I should just go home and rest. I was ok with the usual brownish discharge up until September 10th. I awakened in the middle of the night with my bed wet and a stabbing pain in my back. On my way to the Hospital I started heavy bleeding. I told the ob/gyn that i had awakened by me being wet but it wasnt urine. It was pink in color not yellow and I just started heavy bleeding. My blood pressure had dropped to about 83/67. They did a songram and a physical examination and said everything looks fine and they dont understand why I am bleeding. I told them last week when I was there I was diagnosed with placenta previa. The doctor said that she doesn't see any signs of me having placenta previa and she would need to call a high risk pregnancy doctor for advice. This was at 2 am. At 6am they did another sonogram and another physical examination, and explained that my cervix was closed and the pregnancy is viable and they would like to keep me in for further observation because of the heavy bleeding and I would be transferred to the high rish maternity ward and be kept for possibly 1-3 days to monitor my condition. Around 8 , the shifts had changed and I was seen by another doctor who stated everything was normal and that the bleeding had subsided. They transferred me to recovery unit. I stated there for about 3 hours and then had another sonogram done and was told I would be discharged everything looks ok and the bleeding has subsided and there isnt much else for them to do. I should use hot compresses and tylenol for the cramps. I went home around 1 pm and around 6pm I started feeling painful stabs in my back, couldnt get out of bed. My mother called the ambualance and they put my on a stretcher. Upon my way to the hospital they took my blood pressure and stated it was very low and I explained to them I was earlier in the hospital and was discharged. The paramedic told me she finds it weird that I was discharged with the bleeding and because my blood pressure was so low. (when i was discharged nobody checked my blood pressure just my temperature and a sonogram) I ended up miscarring in the ambulance. Upon arrival at the hospital the fetus had already expelled out of my body. They took the fetus to pathology for examination. I was put on an IV and was given 2 morphine shots for the pain. I had a sonogram done and a physical examination make sure there were no remains. When the bleeding subsided I was discharged at 1 am. I have a follow up in about a week. My question is... Were they negligence in sending me home in the afternoon after the doctors changed shifts? Why did the first doctor state they were gonna admit me for observation and once the shifts changed the other doctor sent me home? I'm basically looking for answers as to why this happened and if stated in the hospital would the outcome been different? And why all the different diagnoses?

LAWMED

I hope this helps.

First, I am very sorry for your loss.

Without a consistent finding on the sonogram of placenta preview it is not easy to give precise information so some of this is rather general. A few points first;

The cervix does not wither have to be labeled simply opened or closed. If open, there can be varying degrees it is open. If open in the first trimester, along with spotting or sharp back pain, it is likely a sign of premature labor.

Placenta preview is the attachment of the placenta in the area of the opening of the cervix, whether it completely covers the opening, or partially covers it. This can cause major problems since 1). The baby will have no exit through the birth canal without tearing the placenta which can cause severe bleeding, 2). There is a high risk of abruptio placenta where the placenta separates from the wall of the uterus potentially causing severe bleeding and cutting off blood supply to the fetus, 3). The risk of premature labor or fetal distress is increased.

There is little treatment for placenta previa other than bed rest and/or medication to stop labor. Complete placenta previa often has a a poor outcome for the fetus.

Placenta previa is usually seen (bleeding is the first symptom in many cases) in the second or third trimester, on average at 27 weeks. The most likely cause of heavy bleeding you describe is in fact placenta previa. Unfortunately, the fetus is not viable at 12 weeks, and, as I said there is little treatment, especially that early in the pregnancy. Your severe back pain is most likely due to premature contractions of the uterus in response to the placenta previa. You did not say that the ER drew any lab work to check your blood count before sending you home. Had they done so they MAY have seen a low blood count. However, even if the blood count was so low that a blood transfusion would be required it is unlikely the outcome would have been different. Likewise, had a definitive diagnosis of placenta previa been made, there is probably no difference in what treatment would have been provided.

It is likely that the body responded to the placenta previa with preterm labor. Generally there is little that can be done. Again, i am very sorry for your loss.

My point

What is the name of your state? New York
On July 25, 2007 I found out I was about 10 weeks pregnant through the health clinic. I did blood work and made a date to go to the doctor on August 28th (She didn't have any earlier appointments.)
so far, so good
On August 22st after eating dinner I saw some red blood spotting which got me worried and I went to the Hospital Emergency room. (NO pain).
again, so far, so good
Upon arrival at the emergency room they took me in right away but had me wait in a room for about 30 minutes before finally my mother complained and had someone come in and examine me.
I work in an ER and some of my patients have to wait 1-2 hours to be seen. The bleeding is important but not as important as the cardiac arrest in the next room and active bleeding stroke or that gunshot wound.
The on call doctor told me I was probably having a spontaneous abortion before examining me.
That would have been my guess. I think they might have been trying to prepare you. Miscarriages before 20 weeks, there is NOTHING that can be done. The fetus is NON_VIABLE and cannot live without you. That is naures way of saying that something is wrong.
I told her I wasnt having any pain and she cant make that decision without me getting a proper exam done... Finally a nurse came in and did a blood test. I waited around for about an hour without being told what is going on.
You knew what was going on, they were doing blood work and this is not instant medicine, you have to wait for the lab.
My mother complained that we were there for almost 2 hours and no one even tried to examine me.
sounds like your mother needed a valium
They stated they were waiting for the blood results to come back.. Upon receiving the blood results, they looked normal.
ok, so far, so good.
That doctor then did a physical examination, which was hurting me and I asked her to stop because she was causing me excruciating paind and the Doctor stated my Cervix was slightly open. They then did a sonogram that showed the baby was about 11 weeks and was viable and had a good heartbeat. They did find a small hematoma near the placenta. so when you got the exam finally, you told the dr to stop, ok. The baby had a heartbeat and was still alive, ok. The baby is still not VIABLE!!!! Nothing before 20 weeks can be saved.
I was then seen by another doctor and he told me that everything looks good. I asked him why the other doctor said my cervix was slightly open. He said there was no way for it to be slightly open either its open or closed.
this statement makes no sense. Are you stating that there were 2 er drs on that night and that you saw both of them? They usually do not share patients.
He then told me to follow up with my regular doctor. None of these doctors were ob/gyn.
No they are not, they are EMERGENCY drs , the ones you wanted help from.
I was then dicharged.
I am willing to bet your d/c paper diagnosis was threatened miscarriage.
I had some minor brownish blood the next couple of days but was told this would be normal and the clot was healing. On the 28th I followed up with the nurse practioner at the clinic and she said everything looks ok and I should take it easy but my sonogram looks normal and my blood test all came back fine and the brown discharge appeared to be normal and the clot was disolving.
ok, so far, so good.
On Sept 2, I woke up in the middle of the night with red blood again, went to the Emergency room again and was brought upstairs to the Maternity section, I was seen by a ob/gyn who told me that i had placenta previa and the spotting was from that. They took blood test, sonogram and physical examination everything showed the baby was viable and I should just go home and rest.
ok, so far so good.
I was ok with the usual brownish discharge up until September 10th. I awakened in the middle of the night with my bed wet and a stabbing pain in my back. On my way to the Hospital I started heavy bleeding. I told the ob/gyn that i had awakened by me being wet but it wasnt urine. It was pink in color not yellow and I just started heavy bleeding. My blood pressure had dropped to about 83/67. They did a songram and a physical examination and said everything looks fine and they dont understand why I am bleeding. I told them last week when I was there I was diagnosed with placenta previa. The doctor said that she doesn't see any signs of me having placenta previa and she would need to call a high risk pregnancy doctor for advice. This was at 2 am. At 6am they did another sonogram and another physical examination, and explained that my cervix was closed and the pregnancy is viable and they would like to keep me in for further observation because of the heavy bleeding and I would be transferred to the high rish maternity ward and be kept for possibly 1-3 days to monitor my condition.
Please consider yourself lucky there. My hospital specializes itself in pregnancy and delivery and noone is sent to maternity unless they are 20 weeks and the baby can be saved if delivery occurs.
Around 8 , the shifts had changed and I was seen by another doctor who stated everything was normal and that the bleeding had subsided. They transferred me to recovery unit. I stated there for about 3 hours and then had another sonogram done and was told I would be discharged everything looks ok and the bleeding has subsided and there isnt much else for them to do. I should use hot compresses and tylenol for the cramps. I went home around 1 pm and around 6pm I started feeling painful stabs in my back, couldnt get out of bed. My mother called the ambualance and they put my on a stretcher. Upon my way to the hospital they took my blood pressure and stated it was very low and I explained to them I was earlier in the hospital and was discharged. The paramedic told me she finds it weird that I was discharged with the bleeding and because my blood pressure was so low. (when i was discharged nobody checked my blood pressure just my temperature and a sonogram) I ended up miscarring in the ambulance. You finally had the miscarriage that your body had been threatening to do for weeks. As far as the ambulance drivers statements, they are AMBULANCE DRIVERS who take care of people for 20 minutes in a truck and have VERY LOW EDUCATION. sorry, not qualified to tell you what a dr should have or not done.
Upon arrival at the hospital the fetus had already expelled out of my body. They took the fetus to pathology for examination. ok, trying to see why you miscarried so this would not happen again.
I was put on an IV and was given 2 morphine shots for the pain. I had a sonogram done and a physical examination make sure there were no remains. When the bleeding subsided I was discharged at 1 am. I have a follow up in about a week.
so far so good.
My question is... Were they negligence in sending me home in the afternoon after the doctors changed shifts? Why did the first doctor state they were gonna admit me for observation and once the shifts changed the other doctor sent me home? I'm basically looking for answers as to why this happened and if stated in the hospital would the outcome been different? And why all the different diagnoses?
1. No negligence in sending you home. If you are going to miscarry, you will miscarry and noone can stop it. people can never accept this fact. You had no less than 5-6 sonograms, blood work, physical exams. What else would you have liked for them to do for you?
2. Different drs have different opinions. The second dr realized how early on you were in your pregnancy and that if you were going to miscarry, there was NOTHING TO BE DONE, hence, no stay necessary.
There would not have been a different outcome for you if you had stayed in the hospital.

On a personal note: As someone who has 2 children out of 10 pregnancies ( not a typo) I speak from the standpoint of experience and as an RN. Until the fetus is 20 weeks, if something goes wrong, there is NO WAY to fix it. You should rest up and try again. If it goes bad, try again and again. Thats what i did. Good luck

CassAnn

Im so sorry for your loss

I really did not like nor agree with the post from the person that claims to be an RN.
1. With these kinds of problems, your own OB should have worked you in before your scheduled appointment. The first thing I would do is find a new OB/GYN.
2. Miscarriages can be caused by a variety of reasons and can be prevented, contrary to what the "RN" told you. However, you need care from a high risk OB or reproductive endocrinologist, ER Dr's are not trained to find and treat these problems, responsibility goes back to your own OB.
I successfully avoided a threatened miscarriage in 1998 because I was referred to a high risk OB by the emergency room Dr and he worked me into his office the next morning. I had low progesterone levels and the lining of my uterus was not thick enough to support my pregnancy until the placenta takes over around 13 weeks. He (the OB) prescribed progesterone in suppository form and the contractions and bleeding stopped and my son was saved.
A placenta previa can also be successfully treated, but again you need a High risk OB with experience in dealing with those kinds of problems. Im am so sorry for your loss, its a terrible ordeal to go thru. My advice to you if you decide to become pregnant again- find and establish a relationship with a high risk OB before you concieve so he/she is just a phone call away in case you develop any problems. Good Luck!

lya

I really did not like nor agree with the post from the person that claims to be an RN.
1. With these kinds of problems, your own OB should have worked you in before your scheduled appointment. The first thing I would do is find a new OB/GYN.
2. Miscarriages can be caused by a variety of reasons and can be prevented, contrary to what the "RN" told you. However, you need care from a high risk OB or reproductive endocrinologist, ER Dr's are not trained to find and treat these problems, responsibility goes back to your own OB.
I successfully avoided a threatened miscarriage in 1998 because I was referred to a high risk OB by the emergency room Dr and he worked me into his office the next morning. I had low progesterone levels and the lining of my uterus was not thick enough to support my pregnancy until the placenta takes over around 13 weeks. He (the OB) prescribed progesterone in suppository form and the contractions and bleeding stopped and my son was saved.
A placenta previa can also be successfully treated, but again you need a High risk OB with experience in dealing with those kinds of problems. Im am so sorry for your loss, its a terrible ordeal to go thru. My advice to you if you decide to become pregnant again- find and establish a relationship with a high risk OB before you concieve so he/she is just a phone call away in case you develop any problems. Good Luck!
You did not have placenta previa, though, did you? So, your post is not relevant whereas the emergency room RN's post is not only relevant but based on current, working knowledge and experience.

A threatening abortion of 4 weeks duration during the first trimester, in the presence of placenta previa or not, is rarely resolved in anyway other than a loss of the pregnancy. The fetus is not viable outside the womb. It is more than obvious that the body was trying to rid itself of this pregnancy and like it or not, the body is usually correct when initiating such action.

A loss of a pregancy is a heartbreaking experience; but, in this poster's case, no negligence seems to have occurred. It simply appears to be, once again, a disappointed person's seeking to hurt others as badly or worse than he or she was hurt; that is the real tragedy.

Last edited:

CassAnn

You did not have placenta previa, though, did you? So, your post is not relevant whereas the emergency room RN's post is not only relevant but based on current, working knowledge and experience.

A threatening abortion of 4 weeks duration during the first trimester, in the presence of placenta previa or not, is rarely resolved in anyway other than a loss of the pregnancy. The fetus is not viable outside the womb. It is more than obvious that the body was trying to rid itself of this pregnancy and like it or not, the body is usually correct when initiating such action.

A loss of a pregancy is a heartbreaking experience; but, in this poster's case, no negligence seems to have occurred. It simply appears to be, once again, a disappointed person's seeking to hurt others as badly or worse than he or she was hurt; that is the real tragedy.
Lya,
My point was and continues to be- Her own OB should have stepped up to the plate and got her into his/her office. If there was any negligence at all, it lays with the specialist that doesnt leave appointments open for emergencies. Is that legally negligent from a lawsuit standpoint? No I doubt it- but it doesnt make it right either. As for the topic of plancenta previa- there IS treatments available- but again, those treatments are not given in the ER.
You two kill me with the "too bad, so sad" attitude. The sad part is that treatment could be available, provided you can reach the right type of physician in a timely manner.

try again

[QUOTE=CassAnn;1718865]I really did not like nor agree with the post from the person that claims to be an RN.
Im sorry you did not like my post but it was accurate!!!

I will agree with you there. She should not have used the ER in that fashion
You are wrong. She said that they did blood work and all levels were normal. That is all you get in the ER. We are not set up to do full OB testing. That is not our function. If you are cut, we sew you. broken bone, we splint you. Possible miscarriage, we check you, send you to your OB dr. That is what was done for this woman.
I am happy that your one in a million case worked out for you.
A placenta previa can also be successfully treated, but again you need a High risk OB with experience in dealing with those kinds of problems.
I have a feeling that you are writing from the standpoint of someone who went through a high risk pregnancy and not a medical training one.
Im am so sorry for your loss, its a terrible ordeal to go thru. My advice to you if you decide to become pregnant again- find and establish a relationship with a high risk OB before you concieve so he/she is just a phone call away in case you develop any problems. Good Luck![/QUOTE]
good luck on this. Having a miscarriage does not get you into a high risk ob drs office. That would be advanced maternal age, SEVERAL previous losses, etc. Call them up and tell then you had one miscarriage and try to get an appointment. It wont happen.

by the way, if you read my post, no one said so sad, too bad. having had 8 miscarriages nyself, I can feel this persons pain better than you know. She had SEVERAL sonograms, blood work and exams. Please enlighten us as to what else could be done for this person. I am all ears

CassAnn

[QUOTE=CassAnn;1718865]I really did not like nor agree with the post from the person that claims to be an RN.
Im sorry you did not like my post but it was accurate!!!

I will agree with you there. She should not have used the ER in that fashion
You are wrong. She said that they did blood work and all levels were normal. That is all you get in the ER. We are not set up to do full OB testing. That is not our function. If you are cut, we sew you. broken bone, we splint you. Possible miscarriage, we check you, send you to your OB dr. That is what was done for this woman.
I am happy that your one in a million case worked out for you.
A placenta previa can also be successfully treated, but again you need a High risk OB with experience in dealing with those kinds of problems.
I have a feeling that you are writing from the standpoint of someone who went through a high risk pregnancy and not a medical training one.
Im am so sorry for your loss, its a terrible ordeal to go thru. My advice to you if you decide to become pregnant again- find and establish a relationship with a high risk OB before you concieve so he/she is just a phone call away in case you develop any problems. Good Luck!

good luck on this. Having a miscarriage does not get you into a high risk ob drs office. That would be advanced maternal age, SEVERAL previous losses, etc. Call them up and tell then you had one miscarriage and try to get an appointment. It wont happen.

by the way, if you read my post, no one said so sad, too bad. having had 8 miscarriages nyself, I can feel this persons pain better than you know. She had SEVERAL sonograms, blood work and exams. Please enlighten us as to what else could be done for this person. I am all ears[/QUOTE]

Great!! Now that you are listening, I will explain this bluntly. You have the tact of a turd. Your sarcasm towards someone that you now claim you have empathy for amazes me. Amazes me even more to hear it coming from someone who says they work in the medical field and is treating patients. I am not interested in starting a huge name calling war here, simply stating my opinion, and my opinion is that your knowledge and skills would be so much more valuable if you were a little kinder.

lealea1005

[/B]

by the way, if you read my post, no one said so sad, too bad. having had 8 miscarriages nyself, I can feel this persons pain better than you know. She had SEVERAL sonograms, blood work and exams. Please enlighten us as to what else could be done for this person. I am all ears

Great!! Now that you are listening, I will explain this bluntly. You have the tact of a turd. Your sarcasm towards someone that you now claim you have empathy for amazes me. Amazes me even more to hear it coming from someone who says they work in the medical field and is treating patients. I am not interested in starting a huge name calling war here, simply stating my opinion, and my opinion is that your knowledge and skills would be so much more valuable if you were a little kinder
.[/QUOTE]

A little contradictory, Cass.:rolleyes: Whether you agree, or not, the information from the experienced nursing professionals posting on this thread was accurate and, IMO, not sarcastic. It was not accurate to lead the OP to believe she would easily be able to establish a relationship with a high risk OB before she conceived again.

OP, I am sorry for your loss.

so much for you

dont you just love the way cassann calls me tactless for giving ACURATE medical info and states I am tactless for telling this woman that she will not be able to go to a high risk ob for one miscarriage. Then states she wont name call but calls me a turd.

On the other hand, she did NOT enlighten us with the information I requested so I am inclined to believe that my first assumption is correct and that this person has NO medical training what so ever.

have a WONDERFUL day

castepmom

loss

WickedChick- I grieve for your loss. I have been in similar situations. Regardless of the arguments that have ensued on this thread, I offer this. What you are looking for is an answer: Why did this happen to me and my baby? Whose fault is it? Was there something that could have been done? Sometimes there are no answers. Tests, and a high risk OB or reproductive endocronologists, are not the guarentee that you will have a successful pregnancy. I am living proof of that (8attempts, no child). The best advice I can give you is this, ask questions but don't expect the experts to always have an answer. Accept what has happened, and decide if trying again is the decision that is best for you. Grieve for your loss. Take your time.

CassAnn

dont you just love the way cassann calls me tactless for giving ACURATE medical info and states I am tactless for telling this woman that she will not be able to go to a high risk ob for one miscarriage. Then states she wont name call but calls me a turd.

On the other hand, she did NOT enlighten us with the information I requested so I am inclined to believe that my first assumption is correct and that this person has NO medical training what so ever.

have a WONDERFUL day
LMAO!!! I think you need new reading glasses! I did not CALL you a turd, but if the shoe fits... LOL Seriously, I said the tact of one, didnt actually say you WERE one. And as far as the High Risk OB goes, you ladies should be aware that with changes to most insurance company mandates, in most cases you are not required to have a referral to get into a specialists office and most specialists will give you an appointment when you call. A good example is the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. They have a nurses line that you can call into and explain what is going on medically and they will help you find the right department for your condition and help you set up an appointment for a consultation and/or testing. A lot of the major hospitals have become friendlier with easier access to specialists when you need them, and that is a good thing. :D

LMAO!!! I think you need new reading glasses! I did not CALL you a turd, but if the shoe fits... LOL Seriously, I said the tact of one, didnt actually say you WERE one. And as far as the High Risk OB goes, you ladies should be aware that with changes to most insurance company mandates, in most cases you are not required to have a referral to get into a specialists office and most specialists will give you an appointment when you call. A good example is the Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio. They have a nurses line that you can call into and explain what is going on medically and they will help you find the right department for your condition and help you set up an appointment for a consultation and/or testing. A lot of the major hospitals have become friendlier with easier access to specialists when you need them, and that is a good thing. :D

as I stated, call them and see what happens. You come back and repeatedly post because you cannot stand that someone else can cut you off and prove you are wrong. This is a board for LEGAL advice and that is what was given. Everything you have written has NOTHING to do with the law. I think you are on the wrong forum dear.

moburkes

And, I suppose information on TCC would be helpful if OP either lived in Cleveland or near a TCC facility, and her insurance accepted TCC in their network, and she was interested in seeing a TCC physician. Otherwise, it means absolutely nothing.

I don't know what state you all live in, but here in Missouri things are different with high risk pregancies. My daughter-in-law miscarried one of her twins during her second trimester. A year later she became pregnant again, and this time her OB set her up with an OB specialist in Columbia, who over sees high risk pregnancies. Also, my girlfreind, who lost her baby during her last trimister became pregnant again, she is now seeing an OB specialist in Kansas City. These were both miscarriages that happened the first time they even became pregnant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">