• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdiagnosis?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kare85

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have been having abdominal pain for the last year. The one OBGYN that I saw found polyps and I had surgery to have them removed in February of this year. Well my pain didn't go away so I scheduled an appointment with the local clinic and my OBGYN was the one that saw me. Well he said that the polyps had returned but he didn't want to do anything about it right away and just put me on some birth control that made me sick the last time he put me on it. My mom said I should get a second opinion and I did. My second opinion OBGYN said that the polyps are no cause for pain so the old OBGYN should have ordered a procedure to put a scope in my stomach to see what was causing it. I have been going through these problems for over a year now. My mom said I should talk to a lawyer about a suit for mis-diagnosis. Was wondering if you think I might have a case or if I should just let it go. Thank you.

Gail in Georgia

You did actually have polyps, correct? These were require removal and biopsy, even if it turned out they weren't the cause of your abdominal pain.

Gail

LAWMED

Before putting a 'scope' in your abdomen (laparoscopy) you need further workup. I am surprised these OB/GYN physicians have not recommend the obvious next step which is a cat Scan of your abdomen. No one can diagnose you properly until that is done. As for malpractice, that idea is WAY too premature. First you need to find out what is actually wrong with you. You need to find an OB/GYN or GI doc who will schedule you for the CT scan. Last resort is going to the ER, but you would get your Cat Scan!

Last edited:

Kare85

Before putting a 'scope' in your abdomen (laparoscopy) you need further workup. I am surprised these OB/GYN physicians have not recommend the obvious next step which is a cat Scan of your abdomen. No one can diagnose you properly until that is done. As for malpractice, that idea is WAY too premature. First you need to find out what is actually wrong with you. You need to find an OB/GYN or GI doc who will schedule you for the CT scan. Last resort is going to the ER, but you would get your Cat Scan!

I have had a CT scan and the dye scan. That's how they found a ball on my ovary and sent me to a Gyno. The GI misdiagnosed me a few times and then referred me to the Gyno. They thought I had xyphoid problems to begin with til they found the ball.

LAWMED

I made some assumptions I should not have. Where were these polyps located and how were they removed and by whom?

I had assumed they were uterine polyps and the 'scope' in the stomach was a laparoscopic exploration of the abdomen.

A 'ball' on an ovary can be a cyst or polyp and it can cause abdominal pain. If this was removed and the pain persists, and since you describe it as apparently being near your xyphoid, a 'scope' inserted down your esophagus and into your stomach is certainly a valid next step.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">