• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misread X-Rays

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylittleangels

Massachusetts
What if you had X-Rays misread by a hospital doctor, and for this it caused me to go for 5 or 6 months with a collapsed disc, (flat and MRI misread by same hospital doctor hired to read) brought same X-Rays to another doctor resulted in emergency surgery scheduled same day. Is the hospital doctor who is hired to read X-Rays responsible?

A

Airbaby1969

First of all i think I would have gotten another opinion on the surgery, if you went 5 months with the issue, emergency surgery doesnt seem to be the appropiate measure to take.
Also a "Flattened Disc" also known as a herniated or Bulging disc, should never be operated on, it should be left alone to work as best it can, Surgery often puts undue strain on the discs in the back. The diagnosis for bulging and herniated discs can frequently be faulty because MRI scans upon which doctors and surgeons rely can only show about 25% - 40% of the patient's condition - and even then the results of such scans are not necessarily indicative of the real problem affecting the patient. Scans can assist but they cannot provide conclusive evidence of a particular condition. A patient for example may not exhibit any symptoms that might be expected from the scan, and vice versa, so it is necessary to take the history, pathology, and range of movement into consideration, which is beyond the field of study of most general practitioners and surgeons.
So to answer your question, NO the radiologist at the Hospital is NOT responsible, but I would definitely take a look at the doc who wanted to do "emergency surgery" for a herniated Disc without performing any kind of additional tests or running anymore pathology on you. Seems to me he just made a huge mountainout of a molehill.

Good Luck

mylittleangels

I don't think you understand, I had a fusion on 3-4 and it collapsed and the screws went into the disc, so there was no disc, just 2 screws nested on the vertebrae and my neck was angeled backwards, I had almost no feeling in my arms and it affected my legs so they were heavy like cement, and my eyes were slits from the migraine which showed up as severe on the head scan. I was severely crippled, and this surgeon is the one that did the first surgery and he won't do surgery unless he feels there is no other option, I saw a team of surgeons after at another hospital and they also told me that in my case, surgery was necessary, and it was scheduled emergency surgery, meaning it was done within a week on his next opening...this routine 40 minute surgery as that is the standard, took 3 hours and 15 minutes. My neck had been damaged from leaving it so long. I only stayed like that because the GP had no idea what to do. So there was no disc there, when they operated it took them a long time to get all the fragments of disc and the vertebrae was worn so they had hard time to place the plate. I honestly have a surgeon that frowns on surgery. So I was sure it was necessary...thanks for responding

lya

mla
Your claim does not appear to meet the requirements for a medmal lawsuit. You have no damages that would not have occurred if everything was done perfectly.

Misreading the x-ray, if that truly happened, did not cause your problems.

Your surgery was not done emergently. It was scheduled.

Back surgery typically never "fixes" anything. Sometimes it relieves pain. Often it reduces mobility. Frequently, one back surgery leads to another.

Consult with a medmal attorney to learn more about your claim's viability and to learn the statute of limitations that will apply.

Airbaby,
Your response was pure nonsense.

justalayman

First, OP was misleading in her statement of "emergency surgery"

Emergency surgery, to me, is, let's wheel you down to the cutting room right now.

This surgery was merely a very quickly scheduled surgery, definately not an emergency.

Second, due to OP's minimal information and her situation, the recommendation for a third opinion was definately not out of place.

lya posts:
You have no damages that would not have occurred if everything was done perfectly.
Not true. OP suffered continue pain, at least, due to bad Dx. Pain can be a recoverable injury. Also notice the follow up where she was limited in life actions. Also could be a compensable damage.

Hell, I got money from a suit because my wife couldn;t have sex with me for awhile. I would suspect if there is a Mr.Mylittleangels around, he even has a possible claim. I believe it is termed "loss of consortium"

lya posts:
OP posts:
My neck had been damaged from leaving it so long.
Sounds like the lack of treatment may have caused some damage. Again, OP's statements are a bit lacking in definition so it is impossible to state anything with assuredness or accuracy.

If waiting did cause some actual damage rather than it caused a temporary situation, then OP may have a cause of action.

Find a medmal attorney to review the case. If you have permanent damage, you may very well have a claim against the radiologist and the first doctor mentioned. Your info is too inaccurate and indefinate to make any real call here.

fuzzxball

Misread x-rays

yeah, I totally agree with OP. IT CAN happen--xrays can be misread. It happened to me for your information! I was told I had arthritis after falling off a ladder. WEnt for a second opinion and had arthroscopic surgery. Guess what? That mysterious x-ray AND MRI were BOTH wrong. The new dr said I DO NOT HAVE arthritis, and I had a tear, which is what I thought immediately after i fell.

Sometimes the patient DOES know what's wrong better than a dr. does. OP, sorry you went through all of that for no reason. But, remember ASK, and ASK again if you don't trust an answer. I learned it twice now!!!! I am no longer shy in asking for additional information!

D

dedlock

Shout Out To Ellen, Go Home

mla
Your claim does not appear to meet the requirements for a medmal lawsuit. You have no damages that would not have occurred if everything was done perfectly.

Your surgery was not done emergently. It was scheduled.

Back surgery typically never "fixes" anything. Sometimes it relieves pain. Often it reduces mobility. Frequently, one back surgery leads to another.

Consult with a medmal attorney to learn more about your claim's viability and to learn the statute of limitations that will apply.

Airbaby,
Your response was pure nonsense.
Stated by mylittleangels
2 screws nested on the vertebrae and my neck was angeled backwards, I had almost no feeling in my arms and it affected my legs so they were heavy like cement, and my eyes were slits from the migraine which showed up as severe on the head scan. I was severely crippled, and this surgeon is the one that did the first surgery
X-Rays misread by a hospital doctor, and for this it caused me to go for 5 or 6 months with a collapsed disc

Is the hospital doctor who is hired to read X-Rays responsible?

Screws and rods frequently break because of problems with the healing f the vertebra. If they contact the spinal nerves they may cause temporary or permanent paralysis.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
Emergent \E*mer"gent\, a. [L. emergens, p. pr. of emergere.]
1. Rising or emerging out of a fluid or anything that covers
or conceals; issuing; coming to light.
2. Suddenly appearing; arising unexpectedly; calling for
prompt action; urgent.

WHAT DOES IT WAS SCHEDULED HAVE TO DO WITH EMERGENT???

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">