• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money back issues from hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smith12345

Three months before, I met an accident injuring my hip and hands. I was taken to a hospital where I was undergone a number of scanning procedures. Finally I was recommended a hip replacement surgery. A few days after, my friend who is a surgeon told that some scanning procedures were not relevant to my treatment and he was absolutely right. I did a check up in his hospital and came to know that I just needed a simple operation, not a replacement surgery. I am trapped because I already paid some amount for it to the hospital. I want to the money back. How can I move legally? Your advice would be really appreciated.

sandyclaus

Three months before, I met an accident injuring my hip and hands. I was taken to a hospital where I was undergone a number of scanning procedures. Finally I was recommended a hip replacement surgery. A few days after, my friend who is a surgeon told that some scanning procedures were not relevant to my treatment and he was absolutely right. I did a check up in his hospital and came to know that I just needed a simple operation, not a replacement surgery. I am trapped because I already paid some amount for it to the hospital. I want to the money back. How can I move legally? Your advice would be really appreciated.
If you are claiming that the surgery you received was unnecessary, then it may rise to the level of surgical malpractice. You should probably consult with a medical malpractice attorney to discuss the specifics of your case to see whether or not you may have grounds to sue.

swalsh411

Who came to the conclusion that the replacement was not neccesary? The doctor providing you care? Or your surgeon friend? Or some other doctor?

justalayman

It's odd that OP shows two posts but a search shows up only the one in this thread. Does a posters count remain if they delete posts or threads?

what scanning procedures? Did they relate to other possible injuries from the accident? After all, you have to be diagnosed before you can be treated. It is not unusual to have negative results from a testing procedure. It is used to rule out possible injuries as well as confirm them.

how was it determined you needed only a "simple operation" (is there really such thing?) as opposed to the replacement? Was it possible the replacement was the best option for treatment? What was this "simple operation" that would have been a more proper treatment?

basically, if you want your money back, you ask the hospital. If they refuse and you believe they owe you anything, you sue them. If you have a valid basis to demand your money back or not is impossible to determine from the minimal information you have provided.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's odd that OP shows two posts but a search shows up only the one in this thread. Does a posters count remain if they delete posts or threads?

what scanning procedures? Did they relate to other possible injuries from the accident? After all, you have to be diagnosed before you can be treated. It is not unusual to have negative results from a testing procedure. It is used to rule out possible injuries as well as confirm them.

how was it determined you needed only a "simple operation" (is there really such thing?) as opposed to the replacement? Was it possible the replacement was the best option for treatment? What was this "simple operation" that would have been a more proper treatment?

basically, if you want your money back, you ask the hospital. If they refuse and you believe they owe you anything, you sue them. If you have a valid basis to demand your money back or not is impossible to determine from the minimal information you have provided.
The search function has problems finding pre-update posts.

ecmst12

The search function has actually been working perfectly for me lately. But if a post was reported, but not yet deleted (waiting for review), it will show on the post count but not the search.

At any rate, difference of professional opinion is not malpractice. It's very easy to say that such and such scan was not needed AFTER they already know what's wrong with you. And the time to get a second opinion about whether a surgery is necessary is BEFORE you have it, not after.

ecmst12

Click on the user name, select "view profile", and from there you can search for "latest threads" or "latest posts". It's not really "latest" though, it brings up everything.

justalayman

Time for a new bookmark ;)
on top of the 200 I already have? It's still available in the other forum I frequent. Wonder why it disappeared here.

thanks for the help. I went back and deleted my off topic posts. It would be nice if we all did.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">