• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My direct supervisor made comments about my medical condition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

esv1s5

My direct supervisor for the company I work for has been making comments about a personal medical condition I have been dealing with. These comments have been made in front of employees and customers. I am currently waiting to file a complaint with the HR team. Does anyone have any idea if this is a HIPPA/AHA violation? I am really upset and I don't want to work for someone who treats employees that way.

Just Blue

My direct supervisor for the company I work for has been making comments about a personal medical condition I have been dealing with. These comments have been made in front of employees and customers. I am currently waiting to file a complaint with the HR team. Does anyone have any idea if this is a HIPPA/AHA violation? I am really upset and I don't want to work for someone who treats employees that way.
U.S. Law Only Please list your state. ;)

esv1s5

OREGON is the state I live in.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is almost certainly NOT a HIPAA violation, although to be certain we would need to know how your manager came by the information about your medical condition.

esv1s5

It is almost certainly NOT a HIPAA violation, although to be certain we would need to know how your manager came by the information about your medical condition.

I needed to call in sick for a few days so I explained to him why I would be out.

commentator

Have you tried mentioning to your supervisor that you would like to keep information about your medical condition private? If so, and he has disregarded what you told him, and continues to bring it up in conversations, you do need to speak to HR. They can speak to him about his disregard for your medical confidentiality. But legally, no there's no HIPPAA violation.

If you decide to up and quit because the supervisor discussed your medical condition with co workers and customers, the only recourse you'd have would be unemployment insurance. And that would not be a real good possibility. They'd ask you, first of all, what did you do to try to resolve the situation? If you haven't talked to the supervisor involved, and you haven't complained to HR, you've pretty much done nothing to solve the problem.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">