• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My father passed away - am I responsible for the medical bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jim_homer2000

What is the name of your state? California.

My parents visited me from a foreign country 2 months ago. They are not US citizen.

My father fell ill suddenly with pneumonia and stayed in the ICU for 2 months before passing away. The medical bills are astronomical. My brothers and I paid over 100K for good faith to the hospital. Are we responsible for the rest of the medical bills?

Thanks,
Jim

lya

My parents visited me from a foreign country 2 months ago. They are not US citizen.

My father fell ill suddenly with pneumonia and stayed in the ICU for 2 months before passing away. The medical bills are astronomical. My brothers and I paid over 100K for good faith to the hospital. Are we responsible for the rest of the medical bills?

Thanks,
Jim
If you signed an agreement of financial responsibility to the hospital, you owe the balance of the medical bills.

D

dedlock

Thanks,
Jim
Jim, unless you cosigned for the creditor to contact you there is no way that you are liable. You are responsible for your bills not your parents bills. Please check with a probate attorney who can answer your questions about settling his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">