• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woodliefg

Virginia

My grandmother wen't into surgery for a quadripple bypass surgery.

Here is a list of things thats happened.

1: She caught staff infection, and it ate away her sternum, now they replaced it with a plastic one. IF she makes it through all this, her openings will have to stay open for life to be cleaned on a daily basis, what a way to live for others mistakes ...

2: Someone went in to clean the wounds, and accidently ripped her heart, so they had to stitch it up.

3: The medical staff has been treating her bad, and not rotating her on her bed to prevent bed sores, and they man handle her if they do move her for something, now she has a bed sore on her back that large and goes straight to the bone. Once she came out of the coma they put her in, from all the abuse from the Staff, she has her own daughters in the room 24/7 so the staff doesn't do anything else.

4: I will redit this part, because it seems to me there is alot more abuse going on, and I got to get more facts.

Conclusion:

What type of lawsuit are we talking about here? From the best of my knowledge all her daughters and sisters can sue, but what about grandsons and granddaughters?

Any advice is appreciated!

racer72

What type of lawsuit are we talking about here? From the best of my knowledge all her daughters and sisters can sue, but what about grandsons and granddaughters?
Depending on her age, her children and siblings will not be able to sue unless your grandmother was their only source of financial support. Same goes for the grandkids. The only person that has any real cause for action is your grandmother. The best of your knowledge is incorrect. I would suggest that her family hire your grandmother an attorney.

rmet4nzkx

It's called a Staph infection, not Staff, which sometimes is a complication of surgery. Please get your grandmother's permission and contact a med-mal attorney, who can review the facts of the case and advise of the legal options.

ellencee

The claim isn't likely to go anywhere near a courtroom. Deep chest (sternal) infections are not caused by negligence of any kind but are a horrible and unavoidable complication of bypass surgery or any type of open-chest surgery because of the wicked infection of MRSA or VRSA or ERSA--all of which are staph aureus infections and resistant to either methicillin, vancomycin, or erythromycin antibiotics. The patient is the source of the infecting organism and no healthcare provider can totally prevent such an infection from developing. Treating these infections is a nightmare for the patient and the healthcare providers.

Preventing a decubitus in such a debilitated patient is not always possible, either.

The poster objects to man-handling the patient but then objects to not receiving repositioning--it can't be both ways. Either someone lifts and turns the patient or the patient doesn't turn.

The patient was predisposed to just about every complication one can list because the patient's circulatory status was deficient (due to blocked arterties and reduced circulation). To the predisposition to skin breakdown add severe infection that causes the body to use its nutrients to heal the infection instead of to prevent and/or heal a skin breakdown.

The infection will (hopefully) heal over considerable time. During this time, the wound HAS to stay open as it heals. If it closes before it heals, the infection will be 'eating away' underneath what appears to be a healthy new skin barrier.

The medical records will most likely show that the patient received care at or above the acceptable standard of care.

An attorney with knowledge r/t MRSA, VRSA, ERSA will not be interested in the claim and an attorney with no knowledge of the infections will be sorry he or she wasted his or her time and money when the medical expert reviews the records, sends an expert opinion, and bills the attorney for several thousands of dollars.

EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">