• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mother's eye sugery went wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeedSomeHelp01

New Jersey.

My 65-year-old mother had some black specks in the corner of her left eye that affected her vision a little bit. But she was still able to see out of her left eye. She went to see a doctor, and the doctor misdiagnosed her and told her she had cataracts and that she needs eye surgery to correct the problem. So the doctor performed eye surgery on her eye. After the surgery, she couldn't see anything out of her left eye. That same doctor referred her to another eye doctor to do a second operation on her left eye. She decided to listen to the doctor and had the second surgery done. The doctor who did the second caused a rip in her left eye, and she was still unable to see out of it. Then, she was referred to a third doctor to have another surgery on her eye, but she still couldn't see out her left eye. Last week, she had to go in for a fourth surgery on her eye, and the results were the same. She lost her vision in her left eye after the surgeries, and none of the doctors are giving her any information about her eye, or letting her know if she's going to see out of her left eye or not. We don't know what else to do. Can she sue any of these doctors?

Last edited:

sandyclaus

New Jersey.

My 65-year-old mother had some black specks in the corner of her left eye that affected her vision a little bit. But she was still able to see out of her left eye. She went to see a doctor, and the doctor misdiagnosed her and told her she had cataracts and that she needs eye surgery to correct the problem. So the doctor performed eye surgery on her eye. After the surgery, she couldn't see anything out of her left eye. That same doctor referred her to another eye doctor to do a second operation on her left eye. She decided to listen to the doctor and had the second surgery done. The doctor who did the second caused a rip in her left eye, and she was still unable to see out of it. Then, she was referred to a third doctor to have another surgery on her eye, but she still couldn't see out her left eye. Last week, she had to go in for a fourth surgery on her eye, and the results were the same. She lost her vision in her left eye after the surgeries, and none of the doctors are giving her any information about her eye, or letting her know if she's going to see out of her left eye or not. We don't know what else to do. Can she sue any of these doctors?
How do you know that these surgeries are what caused the loss of sight in her eye? It's possible that she was going to lose the vision anyway as a result of some other disease or condition.

Until you're able to figure out the exact cause of the vision loss, there is no one to sue. I suggest that you find someone who can review her medical records to help figure out that question first.

NeedSomeHelp01

She was able to see out of her left eye before the operation. After she had the operation on her eye, she couldn't see at all out of her left eye.

NeedSomeHelp01

Furthermore, she had no medical problems with her eye. My mother says that the doctor told her that he was only going remove the black specks from her left eye, but he did something wrong, and now she can't see. The second doctor told her that there was nothing wrong with her eye and that the first doctor shouldn't have operated on her eye.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The answer remains the same. Right now, she has the opinion of one doctor that the first doctor should not have operated. That opinion is not sufficient to sustain a med-mal complaint on its own. She needs to have her records reviewed by a med-mal expert, and she needs to do it fairly soon, since the window to sue, if the expert concurs with the second doctor, is not usually terribly broad.

Therefore, she needs to address the question with a med-mal attorney, who will be able to have an expert conduct the necessary review.

NeedSomeHelp01

Thanks for your answers. We will consult with a malpractice lawyer. I posted this on an all lawyers legal questions site, and the lawyers said that she can sue some or all of the doctors and that her attorney should review the records with an expert to learn more about her eye condition.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have that in the wrong order. To SUCCESSFULLY sue any of the doctors, you need to have the med-mal expert's opinion FIRST.

Med-mal cases are incredibly expensive and you're not going to get very far without an expert opinion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">