• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice in dealing with a dentist

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Driver100WM

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I had 3 fillings on one side of my mouth. The bite turned out to be uneven, and caused sensitivity. So I went back to the dentist to get the filling resurfaced. It's feeling more even, and sensitivity seemed to have stopped, but it returned about 1 week after resurfacing. The dentist had two chances to work on my tooth, and both times problem emerged. I understand that malpractice claim can be difficult and time consuming, but in your opinion, do I have a damage? I think most will say No.

I didn't pay to get sensitive tooth, and it will cost me more money to go to another dentist can filling re-done which is certainly financial damage costing me time and money. Plus insurance may not pay for the same filling. The dentist did bill my insurance for resurfacing the filling so if I were to ask the dentist to re-do the filling, another claim will be sent to my insurance which may get denied for being same filling so I'm in a bit of bind.

What do you think? Will the best course of action be to go back to the same dentist and run the risk of paying for re-filling out of pocket even though previous 2 times ended up with problem? If I were to pay for re-filling out of my pocket, I would rather pay another dentist.

Another option that I'm considering is, insurance may pay for same filling when the new policy period begins in January 2016, so should I just wait until then to go to another dentist? I know that there can be a health risk to myself for waiting until then because I don't know what's causing the sensitivity? Hopefully when the dentist resurfaced the filling, too much was grinded.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Sensitivity after a filling is a normal side effect. It will probably get better over time. The problem is there's a hole in your tooth (caused by the cavity), the repair was trying to fix the best way possible, but a repaired tooth is never going to be as 100% solid as a tooth that never had a cavity.

Driver100WM

Sensitivity after a filling is a normal side effect. It will probably get better over time. The problem is there's a hole in your tooth (caused by the cavity), the repair was trying to fix the best way possible, but a repaired tooth is never going to be as 100% solid as a tooth that never had a cavity.
I'm not aware there is a hole in my tooth where I was filled, and there was no sensitivity before the filling. I've been living with sensitivity for about two weeks now.

ecmst12

The hole in your tooth is the reason you needed the filling in the first place. You do know what a cavity IS, right?

Driver100WM

The hole in your tooth is the reason you needed the filling in the first place. You do know what a cavity IS, right?
You are making an incorrect assumption. The fillings were not for cavity on the tooth where I'm having sensitivity. Be that as it may, if waiting to see if the sensitivity will go away over time while accepting no dental work can be 100% solid is your advice, I accept it as YOUR advice.

Driver100WM

Ok, my point is the same, your tooth was damaged and that's why you needed the dental work.
Just so that others can chime in with any legal or dental opinion, it was actually redo of a filling that was done for the reason in the link done by another dentist 2 years ago. In hindsight, I don't feel it was necessary and it was an aggressive re-do of filling that didn't need to be redone or could have waited.

ecmst12 - I already took your advice and point.

Driver100WM

Anyway, here's an update about this situation for anyone who might care to chime in. The dentist is now claiming that the previous filling was very close to the pulp which he thinks has begun to kill the nerves in the pulp, and he further irritated the nerve when he drilled to fill. He says to keep an eye on the sensitivity, and if it gets worse, I'll need a root canal. So he's trying to wipe his hands clean. Do I pay for the root canal if it becomes necessary? If the previous filling was close to the pulp, he should not have recommended the redo of the filling in the 1st place as it will be a risky procedure or should have been more careful to not irritate the nerve. If he didn't know that the previous filling was very close to the pulp before the procedure, it would be his error that's costing me now.

Last edited:

Driver100WM

What the dentist said makes sense to me and doesn't seem to indicate any type of malpractice at all.
Ok, you're entitled to your opinion within your understanding and knowledge. Please be reminded that the fillings being used to fix chips or breaks in the teeth was not within your understanding and knowledge earlier on in this thread. If you'd like to further respond, I'm going to ask you to PM me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok, you're entitled to your opinion within your understanding and knowledge. Please be reminded that the fillings being used to fix chips or breaks in the teeth was not within your understanding and knowledge earlier on in this thread. If you'd like to further respond, I'm going to ask you to PM me.
It sounds to me like you may be experiencing a normal side-effect of the procedure, but heck, what do any of us know? :)rolleyes:) You need to seek the opinion of another professional (ie: dentist.) It's way too early to be thinking about a malpractice lawsuit.

Just for kicks and giggles:

(from http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/problems-dental-fillings [you know...the same place you like to get the rest of your knowledge about the procedure]: )

Tooth sensitivity following placement of a filling is fairly common. A tooth may be sensitive to pressure, air, sweet foods, or temperature. Usually, the sensitivity resolves on its own within a few weeks. During this time, avoid those things that are causing the sensitivity. Pain relievers are generally not required.

Contact your dentist if the sensitivity does not subside within two to four weeks or if your tooth is extremely sensitive. He or she may recommend you use a desensitizing toothpaste, may apply a desensitizing agent to the tooth, or possibly suggest a root canal procedure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">